THE CURSE ?

-

K.O. SWINGER

Meeting in the alley since 1976
Reaction score
of all the automotive horror stories that keep us awake at night like screams in the night none seem quite as prevalent or horrifying auto body purgatory. I only bring this up because I have saved up enough money to do the body work and repaint my 340 swinger. After striking a deal with a local quality body paint man I was very excited and began to take apart all of the parts in preparation for the big event. I was also very happy to be told that he would be able to start in a week and with no other major jobs in his shop right now I could hardly hold back my excitement. Calling him this morning in expectation of having my car delivered to his shop I was told by his wife that he has been unable to walk for the last 4 days with a severe back problem and the prognosis did not look good man I felt bad for him because I have been there too many times myself before but s*** really. I talked 3 new shops today prices are insane and they can't even get started for 3 weeks.

Last edited:
No curse, alot of crazy shyte happening to good people lately.
Be content you have your health.
It will work out.

Last edited:
yeah I hear you Joey for sure, I just hate my car in pieces this time of year.

horrifying auto body purgatory

Hey, I have been there. Two guys that I know would not do the work for me. One said he was too busy, and the other would not even return a call. I found another guy, who pushed me back twice, then found out on Facebook that he was going shut down his shop. He did not even let me know before he posted about it, and could not understand why I was upset. When I did find a guy that was reasonable, he ended up going $2,000 what he said it would cost. That said, he did a great job, and I have my car back. The big shops around here that actually do complete jobs, are geared towards show car paint, and start at $20,000, and have a waiting list sometimes over a year.

I think it’s the paint fumes , same problem here , one guy told me he’d rather change a window ,than fix rust , another said he’d stop buy and have a look ,never did etc .....then another shop 90$ per hour plus materials .Jeeesssee

Wow.
I was very lucky to get into a small shop in PA, Gary from Performance Auto. A two bay shop with 1 very knowledgeable body guy by trade but does it all. He sent out the 383. I tried to keep him supplied with any parts he needed. The topside of my car was in good shape so He cleaned up the underside as original. SS fuel tank, lines, brake lines. New leafs, new Brewers trans etc. Converted to front discs and 15s. New gaskets for windows. I found parts and he cleaned, assembled and installed center console as mine originally had one. He benched and reinstalled the heater box.
Like an artist, he kinda went off on certain areas that nobody sees, but overall I was very happy.
Cost me more than I wanted to spend, but my son wont have a rust bucket when Im gone. Lol

Muscle Car Restorations, Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. they are expensive but their work is beyond comparison and their reputation is the same. work they do will actually add value to your car because of the quality work they do. they literally cut cars apart and put them back together and it will look like it just left Chrysler the day it was made. last time I talked to them which was a year and a half ago they were charging $85.00 an hour for shop time.

quit screwing around with neighborhood jerk off body and paint dudes that do work for used car sales lots.

All of the shops that I am considering do good work. One is doing a roadrunner for one of the guys that used to work for Graveyard Carz. It's just that my car is pretty much a cream puff the only rust issues are two small patch panels at the fenders and resetting the door Strikers 85% of the car is original paint, and how much does paint cost these days? One shop said he spent $4,000 on just supplies oh my God what did you paint a bread truck

Last edited:
Im presently in the same boat. I had one shop say they wanted to put their name out this outlet. They decided at the 11th hour they dont do restorations. The second came by to look at the car and never responded. The third wanted to charge me 200.00 to do an estimate but would put it in the job if I choosed them. Finally I met a young man newer shop and his work is great. His estimate is spot on. There are good places out there you just have to weed though the others.

Tim

Have had similar experience, first guy works at a paint and body shop but wanted side work ,he used to have his own shop and i used him to shoot utility bodies that i installed. Always fair and quality work, did some really cool bike tanks. So i gave him a 40x40 shop ,with air ,water his to use anytime ,3 months later had sanded my hood! was going to pay him hourly at his rate, told him give back my key sent him packing. September sent to a recommended shop ,now covid19 had to send his 2 employees home ,slow process now arrrgh!

DB Restorations that is only about 20 miles from my house definitely be given them a call ,thanks buddy

I believe Dave farms out the actual spray work, but he may be able to point you in the right direction if nothing else. He is a little over an hour for me, and I have him do some finish assembly if I can. His shop rate was something like $65 an hour when I communicated with him.

I believe Dave farms out the actual spray work, but he may be able to point you in the right direction if nothing else. He is a little over an hour for me, and I have him do some finish assembly if I can. His shop rate was something like $65 an hour when I communicated with him.
I also heard about a shop in Creswell Oregon that has a reputation for high-quality work. I talked to them yesterday and will probably talk to them again it's called Wright brothers they were also Mopar guys

-
Back