The decline continues...

-
NHRA really went downhill when they allowed 'team racing' to happen.

Read the article. No one wants to stay in Cali. Better tax incentives elsewhere.
Exactly the reason. Many companies in Illinois and New York are getting the hell out because of outrageous tax rates.

Before Covid hit I would argue that drag racing was close to the peak of its popularity. Not like it was in the 60s and 70s. But thanks to the tv shows it was getting popular fast. The NHRA seems to be doing ok but there are places they could improve.

Before Covid hit I would argue that drag racing was close to the peak of its popularity. Not like it was in the 60s and 70s. But thanks to the tv shows it was getting popular fast. The NHRA seems to be doing ok but there are places they could improve.

I disagree.
Rules changes that drove Mopar and Ford from Pro Stock.
Short fields in the pro categories.

I (sadly) think they are on the decline.

I disagree.
Rules changes that drove Mopar and Ford from Pro Stock.
Short fields in the pro categories.

I (sadly) think they are on the decline.

I agree now. But that is recent. NHRA fans are getting older while drag racing fans are getting younger. Go to a no prep race, radial race, street car event. The stands are filled with folks that are under 40. A YouTube drag racer just sold out Lucas Oil raceway in Indy with a street car race and a burnout contest. South Georgia Motor Sports Park is insane during the lights out radial races. Folks are tired of the NHRA and the Nitro stuff isn’t cutting it anymore.

I agree now. But that is recent. NHRA fans are getting older while drag racing fans are getting younger. Go to a no prep race, radial race, street car event. The stands are filled with folks that are under 40. A YouTube drag racer just sold out Lucas Oil raceway in Indy with a street car race and a burnout contest. South Georgia Motor Sports Park is insane during the lights out radial races. Folks are tired of the NHRA and the Nitro stuff isn’t cutting it anymore.

I agree that fast "street car" racing

The 10,500 rpm limit that rendered the pro stock hemi's uncompetitive was implemented in 2016.
Agree that fast "street cars" have contributed to the decline

Participation in racing by the regular folks is the most fun along with the camaraderie it builds. Grudge runs at Island Dragway on thurs. nites was a blast. To me watching all of these multi million dollar cars gets boring. That's why NASCAR blows. Not everyone wants to spend or can afford to spend stupid money to race. The last drag race for me was in Arizona around 2014-15. I had never seen cars take off and then slow down before the finish line for whatever reason.

Last edited:
How about These:
limiting sportsman field size at national events
Mandatory “insurance” at nationals $$
entry fees keep rising
Payouts not increasing at all
Contingency list getting smaller
no tech in performance based classes STK/SS

How about These:
limiting sportsman field size at national events
Mandatory “insurance” at nationals $$
entry fees keep rising
Payouts not increasing at all
Contingency list getting smaller
no tech in performance based classes STK/SS

I hate to say this but if the NHRA wants young blood and more spectators in the stands then I doubt they will do much with bracket racing. Most folks don’t understand bracket racing enough to enjoy watching it. They want to see cars pushing the limit on every pass.

As Don explains in his great book, it’s all about getting a good sponsor. Modern dragsters cost way more than the ones from the ‘70s. The sponsor needs a return on investment.

7463067D-165C-47DD-AF99-774B722B235D.jpeg

i was at my local drag strip recently and the price of admission was alot less than I thought it would have been. I was thinking at least $25 a person it was $15. And test and tune night to run my car is $30 and $20 for a guest/crew. Not bad I think. I suppose if they jack up the price no one will come out...

What I see is alot of "street" type YT videos and ""Street outlaws" it seems to be promoting carrying on on the street whereas when I was young we were told to take it to the track, street racing was frowned upon, too many innocent bystanders got hurt 35 years or more ago. I think there is still a law on the books in Pa if caught street racing they take your car and you don't get it back.

The rule makers in the NHRA are total morons. What fans are left go to get a hotdog during pro stock cause nobody cares. NHRA sold out to Chevy and they would leave them in a second if there was a higher bidder. It’s 110% about money not racing.

In order to get away from the lefty bullshit they refused to fight when it went in.
And they'll bring a lot of it with them to whatever nice place they decide to pillage and plunder, next.

i was at my local drag strip recently and the price of admission was alot less than I thought it would have been. I was thinking at least $25 a person it was $15. And test and tune night to run my car is $30 and $20 for a guest/crew. Not bad I think. I suppose if they jack up the price no one will come out...

What I see is alot of "street" type YT videos and ""Street outlaws" it seems to be promoting carrying on on the street whereas when I was young we were told to take it to the track, street racing was frowned upon, too many innocent bystanders got hurt 35 years or more ago. I think there is still a law on the books in Pa if caught street racing they take your car and you don't get it back.

Race tracks are closing every single year. Unfortunately a large part of the country does not have a track nearby. I lost a good friend to wreckless speeding so I’m not going to be an advocate for street racing but I understand why it happens. Also that show is an absolute joke.

Last edited:
I worked with a guy that went racing with his dad 4 nights a week at a different track every night. Lived in Corona CA.... those days are long gone... the hotbed for racing appears to be east of the Mississippi from what I see. Go where the people are!

I'm having trouble understanding why a business moving out of CA and relocating to another state is an indication of a decline. To me, that's just smart business sense. What am I missing???

It’s not just that. They aren’t moving to get out of California, or they would have done the move 20 years ago. Like when California was dicking with the racers because of bridge laws or some ****, so every big team with a semi was stopped at the border and screwed with.

They are going down. By hook and crook they have buried almost every sanctioning body. There are many articles on how this was done and it was effective.

Let’s not forget that Wally Parks, who is loved and adored by the unwashed masses banned nitromethane. This is the same sanctioning body that said anyone on “Street Outlaws: who had an NHRA license couldn’t compete at an NHRA event unless they capitulated and the drivers kissed A Wally while standing in a snow storm in their underwear.

I could go on, but that’s the tip of the iceberg. I won’t even begin to touch the topic of Pro Stock Truck and the absolute grudge screwing those guys got, and I’ve never forgotten the bootlicking, backstabbing *** clowns that worked with NHRA to kill it. I won’t go there as I would get really pissed off.

Hopefully soon the NHRA will be dead, rotting corpse and several other sanctions bodies will grow bigger. Maybe a few new ones will start up.

It’s not just that. They aren’t moving to get out of California, or they would have done the move 20 years ago. Like when California was dicking with the racers because of bridge laws or some ****, so every big team with a semi was stopped at the border and screwed with.

They are going down. By hook and crook they have buried almost every sanctioning body. There are many articles on how this was done and it was effective.

Let’s not forget that Wally Parks, who is loved and adored by the unwashed masses banned nitromethane. This is the same sanctioning body that said anyone on “Street Outlaws: who had an NHRA license couldn’t compete at an NHRA event unless they capitulated and the drivers kissed A Wally while standing in a snow storm in their underwear.

I could go on, but that’s the tip of the iceberg. I won’t even begin to touch the topic of Pro Stock Truck and the absolute grudge screwing those guys got, and I’ve never forgotten the bootlicking, backstabbing *** clowns that worked with NHRA to kill it. I won’t go there as I would get really pissed off.

Hopefully soon the NHRA will be dead, rotting corpse and several other sanctions bodies will grow bigger. Maybe a few new ones will start up.

Hey rose u forgot to mention old wally screwed mopar and sox-martin out of being competitive ( they were dominating) by adding weight to the hemis , so bill chevy jenkins could win !
Of course they did it again to A.J. !

I have been a NHRA member for over 30 years only because I have to if I compete at the Bracket Finals if I qualify otherwise I have no use for them. Once I heard how much the top executives made it really turned me off not to mention the constant screwing they give to the Mopars in Pro stock and Factory Stock. My only interest in NHRA racing is Stock and Super Stock I don't compete in those classes but really like them as I am just a bracket and index racer. BTW Pro Stock Truck was a cool class its a shame what they did to them. I haven't watched a NHRA or Nascar race on TV in years: No Dodge = No Watch!

Hey rose u forgot to mention old wally screwed mopar and sox-martin out of being competitive ( they were dominating) by adding weight to the hemis , so bill chevy jenkins could win !
Of course they did it again to A.J. !

When I was in high school I actually wrote a report about the Sox and Martin drama in the NHRA. My English professor didn’t find it interesting.

I worked with a guy that went racing with his dad 4 nights a week at a different track every night. Lived in Corona CA.... those days are long gone... the hotbed for racing appears to be east of the Mississippi from what I see. Go where the people are!
I am in Pa,and maple grove is close ,say half hour from the house. Cecil county MD is also commutable, Atco NJ is still there Englishtown closed in 2018 I beleive.

-
Back