The Dodge brand SRT8 NEWS Flash

-

djwhog

Reaction score
The Dodge brand announced pricing today for the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT®8. The manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for this modern interpretation of the American muscle car is $37,995, which includes $675 destination. Due to unprecedented demand, Dodge dealers will begin taking orders on Dec. 3 for the limited edition Challenger SRT8. Each coupe will feature a numbered dash plaque and a 6.1-liter HEMI® V-8 engine. The car will be available in black, silver and HEMI Orange. All will feature dual carbon-fiber hood stripes, harkening back to the original Dodge Challenger. "The 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 offers pure American pony-car muscle," Jim Press, Vice Chairman and President, said. "With styling that stays true to Challenger's original heritage, an abundance of modern amenities and cutting-edge technology, the 2008 Dodge Challenger SRST8 will deliver the SRT credo of benchmark performance at a tremendous value."

FYI My 2 cents, I really want this car, but I think it is a tab high should be 34-35K in todays even high price market, also the dealers are probably gonna ream people? I am in the sticks in WY so maybe my bud at the local dealer can make me a deal on one?

Hemi orange of course! If not will wait for the 09 and maybe a 6 spd or the 6.4 if that happens? By then the hype should dim down some too.

srt8.jpg

That price is in line with other SRT8 models, which is marketed to go after Shelby Mustangs in the same price range. The standard 5.7 R/T Challenger is probably what your thinking of. Even though, it is on the higher side when comparing it to a standard GT Mustang.

Since the 1st year always attracts collectors and the gamut of "I gotta have it first" people. Expect insane dealer markups. Don't be surprised if you see pricing 50k or higher.

I think I'll wait a year or 2.

the dealers will still take bids on a car that is impossable to obtain the first year. the place I work did with the viper, pt cruiser, and the 300c when the came out.

One thing that Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealers (prolly others also) are notorious for is the dealer mark-up. My wife and I went a few years back to buy a Jeep TJ Rubicon edition. The mark-up was almost $10k...over the $28k sticker. I told the guy that I would pay $28k...and he told me that I could never find one that cheap. What was funny was that I knew I could buy the base model TJ with the 4.0L, buy a new DynaTrac D60 for the back and a D44 for the front and still save money over the new Rubicon.

6 months later, they were having trouble giving them away at sticker.

I agree with others, the best deals on these cars will be after the first 6 months to a year.

Have fun!

OldMoparsRule

You forgot the dealer mark-up they;ll putting on them...

....and don't forget the $2000 gas guzzler tax either ... I bought my '06 Charger SRT8 back in April of '06 off the showroom floor and paid full sticker... The dealer wouldn't budge a nickel cause someone else would have paid it, and he knew it ... When it was all said and done, with CT sales tax and registration, etc... $46k to drive it away ... and in this case, people who waited got the better deals 6 or 7 months later when gas prices got really high, and they weren't flying off the lots so fast ... They only wound up making (according to best estimates) around 4600 of them, and even though cars are normally horrible investments, I don't think I'll ever sell it ... It's just too much fun to drive !!! The Challenger SRT8 is going to be one sweet ride...

I'm thinkin' that price is for the R/T. SRT's will probably be $8-$10K/list more. I've got a "Cheap" 06'Magnum R/T and it was a heart-beat above $30K. I know you said in your opinion that the price ($38K) is to high, but the SRT as described I'll bet will be at least $10K above that.

I read somewhere that the 3rd off the assy line went for 175,000 on Ebay from a dealer in the gay bay area.

in Wy we dont pay the forget the $2000 for GG tax or the Calif luxury tax. One more reason i moved from Ca 7 years ago. Just 4% sales tax within 45 days after the purchase date. I will see and let ya know on the cost. I have little comp in NW WY so we will see what they will sell it for? But I agree, I worked for GM and recall the 1st ZR1's listed at about $58K sold for a crazy $90k in Ca.!

But in this part of the country where it is cold as hell, days are very short this time of year and most people are lucky to make more than $8 an HR, there is little mark up. Also I do the computer work for the dealer too in fact all 11 of the state stores so that helps a little. How much i will see...

I purchase a fully loaded GM Crew cab 4 wheel drive 9600 GCW every option you can think of XM radio, sat GPS etc, list for $43k, purchased for $35K and change. So we will see? I also 7 years ago got a road king clasic harley for MSRP and when in So Cal they wanted like $27k for a list bile in the K21k range.

Little diff world here, but I agree most all dealers are going to really rip people and it is just not right! if the MSRP is about $38K then they, the manufacture, sell it to the delaer for about $35K so it has profit built into it. It needs to be more in line with a fully loaded Mach one not a Shelby, unless it has a 426 right...:toothy7::toothy7:

For the hardcore out there--- sit tight & order the S/S model! They're taking orders on them. I just ordered mine and although they don't know when they'll be out, how much or how EXACTLY they'll be equipped they'll be availible. They "fly in the ointment" here is that they'll be like the '68 cars --- no title,warranty or options---but hey, it IS a factory drag car. While it may be awhile, I'm in no hurry and IMO it's worth selling off my Altered & Hemi Dart for.

For the hardcore out there--- sit tight & order the S/S model! They're taking orders on them. I just ordered mine and although they don't know when they'll be out, how much or how EXACTLY they'll be equipped they'll be availible. They "fly in the ointment" here is that they'll be like the '68 cars --- no title,warranty or options---but hey, it IS a factory drag car. While it may be awhile, I'm in no hurry and IMO it's worth selling off my Altered & Hemi Dart for.

Called 5 dealers 4 of them have no info on the SS. One told me it was just a design concept for the new challenger.

38K + whatever the dealer wants to ream you :wack:
How much of it is Mopar? How much is Benz?
Is it like I was reading about the Charger, you got to remove a fuse to :burnout:?
I think I will pass, for 38K I could build an awesome A body. Of course my daily driver is older then me :grin: and I havent had a car payment since 1995. :grin:

Just my opinion, If you like them, buy them. :)

TopHat

Called 5 dealers 4 of them have no info on the SS. One told me it was just a design concept for the new challenger.
I got the info straight from Hakim himself at SEMA. Had the salesman enter the order himself via computer AND have the order to prove it. Yes, they don't have a price set on the car or even to what extent the car will be modified but it's going to be built (otherwise the computer wouldn't accept it) If you're serious about it, tell the dealer it's ordered the same way a dealer would order their racing Viper. (something about a "P" code?)

I would buy one...if it was a 5 or 6 speed. I havent seen any thing on a 5-6 speed. No way ever!!! Would I buy one with a A/T tranz. Its not muscle car unless you can power shift the car. It is very good lookin, just not a auto trans guy. And for the OEM power, the $$ is a bit much. If the power was like the car they are trying to make from the old skool 426.... Im sure it nothing like the 426 Hemi.... In you face OEM CRAZZZZYYYY POWER...... I will have to see.....
Kerry

They look nice but I make it a point to never buy aa first year anything! By the second year of production they usually have the kinks out of them, but even then I wouldn't buy one, for that money I can buy a quadcab 4X4 to haul the swinger to the strip with If I ever get it done.

I would buy one...if it was a 5 or 6 speed. I havent seen any thing on a 5-6 speed. No way ever!!! Would I buy one with a A/T tranz. Its not muscle car unless you can power shift the car. It is very good lookin, just not a auto trans guy. And for the OEM power, the $$ is a bit much. If the power was like the car they are trying to make from the old skool 426.... Im sure it nothing like the 426 Hemi.... In you face OEM CRAZZZZYYYY POWER...... I will have to see.....
Kerry

It is rumored a 6.4 aka 392 hemi size is in store for the 09 model year late in 2008 about Sept. Also a 6 spd as well and maybe a better rear gear option too. Car is really loaded with a ton of extras, yes it is a modern day semi luxury car / performance ride. Car is much bigger than the 70 Challenger too, like 400 lbs heavier, 6"s taller, and 4" wider and 8" longer.

I also agree about 1st year anything, I am on the fence and it is pricy, one has to be able to get at MSRP, I have already since them more than 10K over msrp and even one on Ebay going for 10-18K over MSRP already. just crazy amount of $$$. You could build a hell of an A body huh!

What the heck!!!! no Yellow with black stripes!!! :love4:

I will have to wait till I can buy a used one and bring back y5 lemon twist.
I would think this could happen in 2012!!:-k

One thing that Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep dealers (prolly others also) are notorious for is the dealer mark-up. My wife and I went a few years back to buy a Jeep TJ Rubicon edition. The mark-up was almost $10k...over the $28k sticker. I told the guy that I would pay $28k...and he told me that I could never find one that cheap. What was funny was that I knew I could buy the base model TJ with the 4.0L, buy a new DynaTrac D60 for the back and a D44 for the front and still save money over the new Rubicon.

6 months later, they were having trouble giving them away at sticker.

I agree with others, the best deals on these cars will be after the first 6 months to a year.

Have fun!

OldMoparsRule
That is crazy. I was selling Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep when the Rubicon came out and no one around here was marking them up.

in Wy we dont pay the forget the $2000 for GG tax or the Calif luxury tax. One more reason i moved from Ca 7 years ago. Just 4% sales tax within 45 days after the purchase date. I will see and let ya know on the cost. I have little comp in NW WY so we will see what they will sell it for? But I agree, I worked for GM and recall the 1st ZR1's listed at about $58K sold for a crazy $90k in Ca.!

But in this part of the country where it is cold as hell, days are very short this time of year and most people are lucky to make more than $8 an HR, there is little mark up. Also I do the computer work for the dealer too in fact all 11 of the state stores so that helps a little. How much i will see...

I purchase a fully loaded GM Crew cab 4 wheel drive 9600 GCW every option you can think of XM radio, sat GPS etc, list for $43k, purchased for $35K and change. So we will see? I also 7 years ago got a road king clasic harley for MSRP and when in So Cal they wanted like $27k for a list bile in the K21k range.

Little diff world here, but I agree most all dealers are going to really rip people and it is just not right! if the MSRP is about $38K then they, the manufacture, sell it to the delaer for about $35K so it has profit built into it. It needs to be more in line with a fully loaded Mach one not a Shelby, unless it has a 426 right...:toothy7::toothy7:
Actually there is not a lot of profit built into any car, especially not the SRT cars, and marking them up IS fair. Anything that you have for sale is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. That is how our economy works. Demand drives prices. If you have a bunch of rich guys who want to spend $20K over sticker for a first year car why shouldn't the dealers get that price? Remember how much the first year Vipers went for?

38K + whatever the dealer wants to ream you :wack:
How much of it is Mopar? How much is Benz?
Is it like I was reading about the Charger, you got to remove a fuse to :burnout:?
I think I will pass, for 38K I could build an awesome A body. Of course my daily driver is older then me :grin: and I havent had a car payment since 1995. :grin:

Just my opinion, If you like them, buy them. :)

TopHat
Benz is no longer a major factor.

Kerry
What? I have not seen anything about an automatic. Everything I have seen on the new Challenger has said 6-speed manual.

My wife ordered mine yesterday or so she said it was mine. The chances of the average guy getting an 08 is slim. The dealer she ordered from said they will only get one, probably around June of 08 and it will also be auctioned on E-bay. The price was not fixed, the dealer said it will be between 5,000 to 10,000 above list, plus gas guzzler tax and delivery fee. Delivery will probably not be until this time next year so I will assume I will be getting an 09. She was number 5 on the list at that dealer to order one.

-
Back