The Dodge brand SRT8 NEWS Flash

-
Actually there is not a lot of profit built into any car, especially not the SRT cars, and marking them up IS fair. Anything that you have for sale is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it. That is how our economy works. Demand drives prices. If you have a bunch of rich guys who want to spend $20K over sticker for a first year car why shouldn't the dealers get that price? Remember how much the first year Vipers went for?

This is true in part. The "gotta have it first" will shell out the cash and overpay. So marking it up is fair. But domestic carmakers have a lot of profit (more than you think) built in between invoice and MSRP. Any markup over MSRP is gravy for the dealer...and most dealers aren't in any danger of going out of business soon.

This is true in part. The "gotta have it first" will shell out the cash and overpay. So marking it up is fair. But domestic carmakers have a lot of profit (more than you think) built in between invoice and MSRP. Any markup over MSRP is gravy for the dealer...and most dealers aren't in any danger of going out of business soon.
I said it was the dealers who do not get a lot of profit on any given car. I know that from being in the business. I actually ordered our vehicles. I don't know what the manufacturer actually makes.

See. I don't think 37-38000, is a bad price. Not if you get the 'real' thing, meaning a washed down version of what they might have offered, like the, ugh, Charger. Sure I would have liked to seen it cheaper, must this is not a 4.6 Mustang. Far from it. I was afraid they'd price it somewhere in line with the Viper. To keep it out of the hands of the real enthusiast. And no. I'm not wealthy. Not nearly.........

I said it was the dealers who do not get a lot of profit on any given car. I know that from being in the business. I actually ordered our vehicles. I don't know what the manufacturer actually makes.

Right. That was the part I was questioning. I worked it from the sales end. The difference from invoice and MSRP tends to be $2k - $3k minimum on domestics for a car in the $13k - $24k price range. That's pretty decent margin. That's not to say that a dealer wouldn't sell it for less than MSRP, but that's a whole different subject for debate.

I emphasized domestics because I know imports work on slimmer margins. Only $1k-$1.5k between invoice and MSRP.

I would think that the US automakers are upside down since they have been posting losses quarter after quarter. It would be much easier for a dealer to manage their profit and loss than the manufacturer.

I would buy one...if it was a 5 or 6 speed. I havent seen any thing on a 5-6 speed. No way ever!!! Would I buy one with a A/T tranz. Its not muscle car unless you can power shift the car. It is very good lookin, just not a auto trans guy. And for the OEM power, the $$ is a bit much. If the power was like the car they are trying to make from the old skool 426.... Im sure it nothing like the 426 Hemi.... In you face OEM CRAZZZZYYYY POWER...... I will have to see.....
Kerry

I dunno man ... 13.17 @ 106.5 mph from a bone stock Charger SRT8 which weighs around 4400 lbs with me in it, ain't so bad ??? I don't think the stock hemi chargers or cudas ran those times back in the day ...

Absolutely. I believe this thing would beat a 2nd generation hemi handily. And do it loaded.

I just got the call!! T,C a towing co my son worked for has ordered a orange
08 challenger here in Jonesboro Ak. Fletcher Dodge. $44K.
It will be delivered some time in April.

Get this !! he said they have it in a green color too.:-k
That is the word I got from his son.

Right. That was the part I was questioning. I worked it from the sales end. The difference from invoice and MSRP tends to be $2k - $3k minimum on domestics for a car in the $13k - $24k price range. That's pretty decent margin. That's not to say that a dealer wouldn't sell it for less than MSRP, but that's a whole different subject for debate.

I emphasized domestics because I know imports work on slimmer margins. Only $1k-$1.5k between invoice and MSRP.

I would think that the US automakers are upside down since they have been posting losses quarter after quarter. It would be much easier for a dealer to manage their profit and loss than the manufacturer.
Vehicles almost never sell for MSRP. Sale price is always lower. Even if it sells at invoice there is a 3% "dealer holdback" that they still make unless the car was DX'd (dealer exchange) from another dealer. Only the ordering dealer gets the holdback.

Dodge has announced pricing for the 2008 Challenger SRT8 at $37,995, with dealers taking orders starting December 3. The SRT8 will each have a numbered dash plaque and 6.1 liter V8; only three colors, black, silver, and orange, are available. Pricing for the other models, which are certain to be less expensive, will be announced later. Add on $2,100 for gas tax and it is $40,100, and they willcome 5 speed auto or 6 speed manual, your choice, hemi only for 08. I think only the preorders will be 08, after that they are 09 models and the other motor choices and colors will be available. I guess over 6000 have been ordered since monday.

You can get a Superstock version of them too, they have been taking orders for a little while now, so woever has a dealer that doesnt know about it should find one that does before it is too late, that is if you want one.

[

You can get a Superstock version of them too, they have been taking orders for a little while now, so woever has a dealer that doesnt know about it should find one that does before it is too late, that is if you want one.[/quote]
Thank You!. I was fortunate enough to find a salesman that was familiar enough with this stuff to recognize & admit there IS a S/S version out there. Unfortunately, there more of a mystery than a street Chall. since even Hakim himself wasn't certain how they'd be outfitted or when they'd come out. Right now I'm the only 1 on the list for a S/S at the dealership.

I dunno man ... 13.17 @ 106.5 mph from a bone stock Charger SRT8 which weighs around 4400 lbs with me in it, ain't so bad ??? I don't think the stock hemi chargers or cudas ran those times back in the day ...

They would have, and could have, and did back in the day, If the guy/gal driving it, knew how to drive a 4-sp,(power shift) and had the tires of today on the car. I have a old mopar nats VHS tape I bought at the 1992 nats, at the end of the mopar nats vid, has a clip of 4 cars...That was filmed in the late 60's....geussin 66-67...???... 66 Hemi , 66 chevelle 396, Farlane 390, and a GTO, all were OEM bone stock, except for the hubcaps...all were 4-sp, best time for the hemi, with 4 different guy driving was in the hi 13's....( the Hemi also killed all the others!!!) Then the late and great Ronnie Sox, took the Hemi for a pass...low 13's... 13.20's something I think. Wally Parks was even there. Im sure some of you out there may have this VHS tape from the 92 mopar nats in Columbus,OH Not bashing your SRT8...H ell I would love to have one, even 2. I was talking about the gut wreanchin TQ and HP, that the 426 Hemis put out. They Dodge, are trying to get the horse power wars started again, They should go back to the hey days in the late 60s, i think that Ford is winning right now with the stang, It looks old skool and is more in a every day persons price range.
As for the 392 mill they are talkin about in 09??? Dont know... I think it sould be marketed as a 426, not a 392...wrong erra for the engines .. But hey, Im not doing the marketing at Dodge, Im just the guy that may buy one. For the dealer mark up...yes it will be hi, but so is all the latest and greatist. The GT500 stang was marked up 10-15K, but is now coming down... So with all that..... YES...I would like to have a Hemi Challenger, BUT, They should make it like the ones the Won on Sunday, and Sold on Monday.

This Is The Second Web Site I Have Read That Dealers Are Taking Orders,,,,where Is This Info From Dodge Posted ?????? When I Talked To A Chrysler Rep,,,they Said There Would Be No Pre-ordering,,,,

They would have, and could have, and did back in the day, If the guy/gal driving it, knew how to drive a 4-sp,(power shift) and had the tires of today on the car. I have a old mopar nats VHS tape I bought at the 1992 nats, at the end of the mopar nats vid, has a clip of 4 cars...That was filmed in the late 60's....geussin 66-67...???... 66 Hemi , 66 chevelle 396, Farlane 390, and a GTO, all were OEM bone stock, except for the hubcaps...all were 4-sp, best time for the hemi, with 4 different guy driving was in the hi 13's....( the Hemi also killed all the others!!!) Then the late and great Ronnie Sox, took the Hemi for a pass...low 13's... 13.20's something I think. Wally Parks was even there. Im sure some of you out there may have this VHS tape from the 92 mopar nats in Columbus,OH Not bashing your SRT8...H ell I would love to have one, even 2. I was talking about the gut wreanchin TQ and HP, that the 426 Hemis put out. They Dodge, are trying to get the horse power wars started again, They should go back to the hey days in the late 60s, i think that Ford is winning right now with the stang, It looks old skool and is more in a every day persons price range.
As for the 392 mill they are talkin about in 09??? Dont know... I think it sould be marketed as a 426, not a 392...wrong erra for the engines .. But hey, Im not doing the marketing at Dodge, Im just the guy that may buy one. For the dealer mark up...yes it will be hi, but so is all the latest and greatist. The GT500 stang was marked up 10-15K, but is now coming down... So with all that..... YES...I would like to have a Hemi Challenger, BUT, They should make it like the ones the Won on Sunday, and Sold on Monday.

I can definitely believe Ronnie Sox wrung the best time out of the hemi !!! He was an amazing driver ... I saw a special recently on Detroit muscle on the speed channel that featured a lot of his driving clips...

I love both eras of cars, don't get me wrong .. I grew up in the late 60's, early 70's, and the hemi cudas and roadrunners were the most bad *** cars around...It's too bad ya just can't find a real nice one that hasn't been butchered up over the years, for much less than 80 or 100K ... The thing I love about the new school technology is being able to have a car for half that money, that will run low 13's and go about as fast as you dare on the highway... I hit 150 with mine once and it handled like a dream (of course my knees were knocking when I got home and realized that wasn't such a bright idea !! I'm also getting older so the 4 doors don't bother me like they would have when I was younger, and I just love that it has all the creature comforts you could want.. That, I guess is what impresses me most about the srt models, they're very docile machines until you kick em' in the butt, and that motor comes to life ...

I agree about the Mustangs .. I don't think you could get more bang for the buck anywhere ... I thought about one, but couldn't bear the thought of having two Fords in the yard .. The F250 plow truck is enough :blackeye:

So here is the scope as it sits. The cars information on the ordering was last Friday, the dealers were suppose to be able to take orders this Monday.

Limited to 5000 numbered cars most every option is on the car is included in the price MSRP Including Destination: $37,995 + GG Tax: $2,100. It is an SRT8 model. You can get in 3 colors and add only a few options. The cars are to ship in Early April 2008.

I went to order mine, even the dealer knew nothing on Friday, in fact they told me the car was never going to be built.. maybe what for a Camaro to come out. idiots! What ever! :blah5:

So then I go in on Monday with cash and paper info to place the order, it is even on the Dodge.com web site, http://www.dodge.com/en/2008/challenger/ search for up coming models from the drop down menu choices. Anyway, they tell me that they already sold it to a guy 300 miles away and 10,000 over the sticker! I was pissed, They played stupid tell me they have no clue then sell to someone not only for more $$$ but in another area.

So I contacted a bigger dealer in a neighbor state and they placed an order for me at list price MSRP, I am 3rd in line no mark ups etc. Anyway then I got a call yesterday and was told most dealers get at least one car some several. They are for sure getting 2, but if they get a 3rd they can sell it to me. But I told the Sales Manager if I am not one of the 5000 placard marked cars in April, then in March I can come into the dealer and place an order for a 2009.

Probably that will work out much better anyway. The 2009s will be out in about August 2008, will have more choices, IE options, and most the dealer ripp offs (mark Ups) will subside.

Here are some details of what is out there and what is suppose to come.

PS: there is also a rumor of a 6.4 (392) for 2009 since it is the 50 year aniversary of the hemi. A 5 and maybe a 6spd stick with better rear gears for low end, and a 2 disk viper clutch option Even theough this is a totally diff motor than the origional 392 and of course the 426 (and there were 3 versions of that 426 motor too). The current 6.1 can be borered and stroked very easily to a 392 and yes even a 426 for number size sake. The 6.1 makes about 425 HP and has over 400 ftlbs tq. A proto type 6.4 is like 525 HP.

Here are some details. :glasses6:

2008 small.jpg

pre lim specs drive train.JPG

Attachments

• 2008 Challenger.pdf
    17.5 KB · Views: 158
38K + whatever the dealer wants to ream you :wack:
How much of it is Mopar? How much is Benz?
Is it like I was reading about the Charger, you got to remove a fuse to :burnout:?
I think I will pass, for 38K I could build an awesome A body. Of course my daily driver is older then me :grin: and I havent had a car payment since 1995. :grin:

Just my opinion, If you like them, buy them. :)

TopHat
How much is japanese

Yes but there are a lot of dealers that are not gouging folks and are selling at MSRP, I have an invoice with my credit card on it and am 3rd in line. It all depends on the market area.

I have as you say seen some on the bag for up to 60K..

Yes way to much! Out of my range and not worth that in my wallet!

This Is The Second Web Site I Have Read That Dealers Are Taking Orders,,,,where Is This Info From Dodge Posted ?????? When I Talked To A Chrysler Rep,,,they Said There Would Be No Pre-ordering,,,,

Sales philosophy will vary from dealer to dealer.

-
Back