The dreaded Click!

-

DemonDave

Swollen Member
Reaction score
Well I'm just finishing up my 225/904/7.25 to 360/727/8.75 swap and got to the point where I was going to crank her over for the first time.

Hooked the battery up, checked the lights to determine battery strength (good!), put the key in and turned it to RUN. Everything AOK so far, turned it to START and CLICK!, everything went dead. No power, no lights, nothing. I went out, disconnected the positive lead, reconnected the lead and all the lights came back on. Got back in the car, turned the key to START and CLICK!, everything went dead again.

So my question is, what gives? The starter I'm using came off of my 225 and worked perfectly before... the starter wiring is foolproof (molded connector) and only goes on one way... I didn't touch any other wires around the starter relay... so why won't the starter turn? Why do I just get a loud CLICK! and have the electrical system die? Why does it come back to life just by disconnecting the reconnecting the battery?

Somebody please help me. :(

Sounds like a short. I also wasnt aware that you could use the starter from a slant 6 for a 360. You might want to look into that

Since you did an engine and tranny swap, did you check to make sure the linkage is correct? Are you sure it's in park and not in gear or something? Also, did you ground everything as it was before?

sounds like a loose connection to me. check the engine to body ground and the battery to starter relay wires ...

Sounds like a short. I also wasnt aware that you could use the starter from a slant 6 for a 360. You might want to look into that

I checked before hand and they're the same... the V8 unit might have more juice but they're pretty much identical.

Since you did an engine and tranny swap, did you check to make sure the linkage is correct? Are you sure it's in park and not in gear or something? Also, did you ground everything as it was before?

Linkage is correct, park/neutral switch was swapped from the 904 onto the 727. All the grounds are connected although I will double check how clean the connections are.

68_val_sedan and Ramcharger: As mentioned above, I'm heading out to check the grounds right now. Appreciate the advice!

:)

Hey Dave,
Have you load tested the battery? It may have enough juice to turn on the lights but once you engage the starter it's "lights out"

And the cause of the dreaded CLICK! was...

wait for it...

the battery to body ground!!! After I cleaned off more paint on the rad support and filed the lugs clean, it cranked right over! The best news? The engine fired for the first time since I installed it tonight!!! I won't be sleeping, that's for sure.

Thanks for all of the help! This is the best place on the web. :)

-
Back