The dreaded Valve Tick

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
I just got my 340 cranked up again last week after it sat for two years while doing paint and body. It seems to run really well in the driveway. It is just that I get a valve tick after reving the engine a few times. Mostly happens after the car has warmed up some. It's mostly on the passenger side. I should retighten the headers just in case now that I think about to rule that out.

So, it's a mystery motor that was built by Magnum Superchargers from Michigan. I would think that they are reputible builders but you never know. It has an older Comp 292Hyd with .501 lift and 244 duration. It has the stamped rockers. I've not taken the valve covers off to inspect yet but I imagine I would get some valvetrain noise no matter what with the cam and rockers that were installed by the builder. Is this true?

My other question is would I be better off using some steel adjustible rockers from CompCams with this cam setup? How much HP am I missing out on with these stamped rockers?

Any help would be great. Let me know if extra info is needed. I'm hoping that I don't have a wiped out lifter or something.

Non-engnie expert
~Dave

pull the covers and take a look, it could be worn rockers, i would replace with HD stamped the rollers are nice but not much power increase.

Hopefully its just a header leak. I would tighten it up and if its still there make sure its not the header still by either using your hand or a piece of fuel line to listen around the flange. It may be warped?

If it still does it then your next steps I would do is
1. pop off the valve covers and check for any loose or worn rockers and dead hyd. lifters and verify the preload (most are about .020-.060)
2. pull intake and look at the lobes
3. If still no visual problems pull the lifters and check to see if any are going flat or concave

As far as the rockers I would get some adjustables either factory or good aftermarket. The HP would not be anything you would ever notice if any at all. The mopar shaft setup is actually pretty decent compared to many others.

Yes, it's likely you're gonna hear some noise no matter what you do with a flat tappet cam.
But more noise in a particular area should draw your attention.
Pull the covers and check it all out. Run through the rocker adjustment procedure and see what you get.

could just have something simple as a collapsed lifter, but for the cost of gaskets pull the intake and check out the cam lobes for peace of mind...I would get rid of the stock rockers. IMO ALL stock rockers are doodoo, but this is only MY opinion. And opinions vary.

You can always go full roller like I did in my 340

Dave,

How much run time on the engine since you got it running again? Could be just a sticky lifter from sitting. It may go away after driving it a bit. Also, how loud is it?

If you can take video and post it on Youtube, I can take a listen over the weekend (can't get to Youtube at work).

You can always go full roller like I did in my 340

Seeing what I see with these flat tappet cams roller is the only way I go.
Expensive, but by the time you flatten your second flat tappet cam, you're there...and with a roller you dont need to worry about the low zinc oil anymore.

If it doesn't tick all the time, just a lifter. Pull covers, find if it is the same lifter each time; clean or replace.

-
Back