the goopy stuff

-

mikess68

Reaction score
ok guys, here is the stuff. what stuff?? that seam sealer that us dodge guys used back in the early 70's to hide all those bad weld jobs. its thick and plyable and paintable and the same tanish color(they were other colors used sometimes also)

reasons i know:
1. i used it on my dart for seams in the trunk, floors, and to glue the hood frame back onto the flat metal in those silver dollar size globs. it seals, dries and is paintable.
2. i made mopars in the early 70's in mich and it even smells like the same stuff
3. i worked for home depot and tried everthing on the shelf at one time or another looking for the goopy stuff. *thats what we called it most of the time. "goopy stuff and sometimes goof y stuff"
remember, don't do it very neat, it wont be orginal if it is nice and smooth. we used a thing that looked like duck bill and this stuff came out through it with a hose attached. the goal was to be less than 1/2 inch thick.

take it or leave it. just passing on some good info (proven out) tks Mike8)

it says "dynaflex 230" down the side i think it was about 5 bucks.

Attachments

• dap 002.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 230
hmmm sounds good I will have to write that down that company is a well built one as well

Wow really, you made some mopars? A month or so ago I was trying to imagine how exactly they applied the seam sealer and what they used. I re finished my trunk and used seam sealer from the auto paint store. I used a wide brush and a piece of cardboard.

And yeah, I made sure it looked sloppy! Does that seam sealer have silicone?? I heard some silicone can corrode and rust
bare metal.

Wow really, you made some mopars? A month or so ago I was trying to imagine how exactly they applied the seam sealer and what they used. I re finished my trunk and used seam sealer from the auto paint store. I used a wide brush and a piece of cardboard.

And yeah, I made sure it looked sloppy! Does that seam sealer have silicone?? I heard some silicone can corrode and rust
bare metal.
If I remember right my body guy said that silicone will cause rust, if I remember, on my 6th beer, next time I talk to him I will ask.....

I don't believe silicone is paintable??? That would be another reason to not use silicone.

I have been using the Dap 230 to caulk my windows at home. Its a good product, doesn't shrink or crack and the tube does say its paintable.

Been in construction since 1973, Been a super since 1979. Latex on your house will stick to silicone, for 10-15 years. Latex on your car??? Not Stick. Use eurathane.

-
Back