The Green Goblin

-

Chep

Reaction score
I have spent the last six months looking for my first Mopar. I have always loved the Demon and at first set my sights on one. After not finding anything decent within my area and price range I decided a Dart Sport would do. I had a few MINIMUM requirements for buying said car. It had to have at least a 340 or bigger, automatic with floor shift (could be an aftermarket installed floor shift and if it still had the column shifter that would be fine), and i wanted to be able to enjoy the car. I did not want to buy a car and have it sit in the garage for YEARS before i get to enjoy it. I am in the Air Force and might not have the time to devote to build a car like that, though I would like to do that someday. I always asked owners when I responded to ads if I could drive it to St. Simons Island (two hours away) and back.

I also deployed to Afghanistan at the end of December, every free chance I got I surfed the web and sent leads for my GF to chase down. She would call on my behalf and ask a list of questions for me. I was slightly giving up on the search toward the six month mark. Everything was either too expensive, didn't meet my requirements, or just not there. I was seriously considering lowering my standards and possibly looking into the Swinger body style instead of the Demon/Sport.

Last week I just so happened to be browsing Craigslist and about 20 miles away was the one I had been searching for. I found a 1973 Dodge Dart Sport 340, mostly stock, floor shift and nearly ready to be driven. The most surprising thing, for me, when finding this car was the fact that it is my favorite Mopar color, Sublime Green. It also has a factory, WORKING sunroof.

The Dart could use some minor TLC but that okay with me, keeps me out of trouble on the weekends.

Here is the day we got it!! I just need to install the seat belts so I can drive her around.

Attachments

• 10383100_4515441021033_5783001984285940967_n-1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 575
  • 10273413_4515442101060_8361863730626839388_n.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 555
  • 10435926_4515441221038_7808680749864472114_n.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 572
So I have had an fun week or so driving the Goblin around. Thanks to the Members here I was able to load the Body, Chasis and Part Number book on my iPad. I have been doing the whole hole "What is this?" and looking it up, its fun. In fact I usually sit in the car and post with my iPad and keyboard, a little geeky but I enjoy it. I have only ran into minor issues, but hey for $8500 it is to be expected. I got the drivers side seatbelts installed so I dont have to worry about being pulled over on base. I was curious and tried the windsheild wipers, nothing. I wiggled the Wiper Arms and both seemed conected, I looked up at the switch to see if anything was obviously wrong, nothing. I have looked on FABO and everyone appears to HATE dealing with them. I disconected the wires to the motor and hit the contacts with the wire brush. Someone painted it pretty heavy with black spray paint. After the contacts were cleaned i tried again and no luck, next step would be to take it off and check the ground but thats for when another weekend with more beer.

I took some more pics for you guys, the Goblin has a Ralley Dash from a 71 Something, the only gauge that does not work is oil pressure (any thoughts?). The fuel gauge works but is wrong, it has the stock fuel tank (I think I read 15gal??) and it shows empty around after 4gals. Probably something simple. I also took a pic of the fuse box hanging (which bugs the hell out of me), some of the fuses are blown but everything i need works, i hope.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 449
Fuse box hanging down, it kills me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 424
I ordered a suspension bushing set this week. The Goblin needs both upper and lower control arm bushings which were given to me. I jacked the car up and looked at all the bushings, most were very worn. I did see some new tie rod ends that looke good. The right front tire is also slanted inwards a lot more then the left. As soon as I replace all the bushings I forsee an alignment in the near future. I have also looked at a steering lingkage kit too, maybe a purchase something soon. One thing did come in the mail today, a new air cleaner :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 372
Welcome aboard! 1st off whaddya mean "lower your standards to the Swinger style"??? Hmmm:poke:

There is a bolt that holds the fuse box up under the dash. Oil psi gauge, chk at the back of the engine right behind the intake. Connection might be cruddy.

The wiper should might be toast, no biggie, those are available new I believe. Also you will notice with most switches on the dash, there is a bezel that holds the switch in place. Do yourself a favor and check out ebay(or someone on here) for the bezel socket. Saves a lotta grief removing the bezels.
Thanks for your service!

Here is a link for that tool

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-dash-switch-bezel-tool-Dart-charger-hemi-dodge-Plymouth-coronet-dart-GTX-/201016968539?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ecd8b855b&vxp=mtr"]Mopar Dash Switch Bezel Tool Dart Charger Hemi Dodge Plymouth Coronet Dart GTX | eBay[/ame]

Thanks you! I don't mean I hate the swingers but I was very set on NOT getting a swinger. Thank you for the tips, I solved the wiper issue by not driving in the rain but it's hard to do here in South Georgia.

My wheels are very oxidized and could use some attention, plus I don't want to drive it around too much since the bushings are bad and new ones are on the way. I thought I should clean the wheels up, they have some gouges and stuff but I can make them look good from a distance. I used a combination of stuff but got the best results with turtle wax buffing compound, a white polishing compound from Harbour Frieght and mother wheel polish. Here's before and after, tried to do side by side but I would have had to stand too far back.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 313
-
Back