The horror!

-

MyD750

'71 Duster 340 TX9
Reaction score
Well, some stuff just doesn't seem to go to well, so it is with another of the 71Duster340TX9 components. This one being the TQ 4972S. I sent it in to Woodruffs for eval and reman. A couple of days ago Dave called and delivered the 'not gonna happen with this one' news. BTW, my words, not his. He was really nice in delivering bad news.

The upper has suffered the dreaded "white death" of corrosion. Drat.

However, not all is lost. The base is usable. And, he gave me the contact info of a guy who has the inverse problem with his 4972S, the base is dead, but the upper is usable. Maybe we'll work something out that benefits us both. In the meantime, if you have a 4972 laying around, and want to part with it. OR just the upper, let me know. Please. Pretty please.

SMJX5644.JPG

I have a box full of TQ's I can check. Would another number work or just the one you listed?

If you can find the 'right' chemical solution, it might be salvageable. Solution would need to remove the alum corrosion, but not affect steel & brass parts.

If you can find the 'right' chemical solution, it might be salvageable. Solution would need to remove the alum corrosion, but not affect steel & brass parts.
i think part of the problem is that the corrosion has actually compromised the the piece past the point of salvage.

i had a situation with an old italian motorbike that kept having fuel related problems. no amount of cleaning the tank, tap, carb, jets, anything would solve it for more than a few days. then right back to a bunch of junk in the bowl and a no start. it turns out that the bowl had been compromised and was corroding and as fuel would evaporate the alum oxide would form, then when you turned on the tap the fuel would wash down all the alum oxide and it would basically make a slurry in the bowl. because the oxide wasn't allowed to fully harden off, it didn't form a new protective layer over the compromised aluminum so it was just a vicious cycle.

-
Back