The Ideal Workshop

-

zapimpulse

76 Duster
Reaction score
So.....
I have a 50x30' aluminum pole building cluttered with old wood shop equipment which is essentially becoming a storage facility. I would like to set up a work area but need your thoughts/advice/recommendations. It has two overhead bay doors and a gravel floor. I plan to pour the floor and would like to squeeze in an auto lift in there as well :) The old man says I only get half the shop though... So make that a 25x30' shop, one bay door. I've got the basic tools, wrenches, floor jack, etc but let me know what tools you guys find handy/use on a daily basis. I have an array of wood shop tools but am designing this workspace as a machine shop. What do you think about an auto lift too????
Thanks! :read2:

Where are you in NJ?....I am in the construction management biz and live in Central NJ....I'd be glad to shoot you some advice and even recommend some good local contractors (if you need).

I have two friends who live local to me and both are into wheeling Jeeps....They both have KILLER shops set up in pole barns....Both are drywalled and fully conditioned, and have all the bells and whistles (no lifts)....I'm thinking of doing one myself.

Thumbs up for the auto lift. I would also invest in a nice 80 gallon air compressor.

As long as he has the ceiling height....One of my buddies with the Jeep would only get about 5' of clearance underneath his Jeep (which yes, is taller than an a-body), so he decided not to do one.

SassyGrassScamp, I'm in Western Monmouth; where abouts are you? It's nice to know of some local guys! My Jeep is my daily driver..I figured I've got the nice 4x4 so I needed a new project so that's how I got the Duster. Your friends sound like they have some pretty sweet setups. I long for a killer setup like them. Thanks for the recommendations on contractors but my father's a carpenter so we're covered in that regard. We've also got an aircompressor in the woodshop that we'll pipe over to the pole building as well, thanx 3forty!
Keep em comin

SassyGrassScamp, I'm in Western Monmouth; where abouts are you? It's nice to know of some local guys! My Jeep is my daily driver..I figured I've got the nice 4x4 so I needed a new project so that's how I got the Duster. Your friends sound like they have some pretty sweet setups. I long for a killer setup like them. Thanks for the recommendations on contractors but my father's a carpenter so we're covered in that regard. We've also got an aircompressor in the woodshop that we'll pipe over to the pole building as well, thanx 3forty!
Keep em comin

Hey Zap....Sorry for the delay....I'm in Middlesex County near Old Bridge....Funny we're both into Jeeps and Mopars!

How high are your ceilings? Gregsmithequipment.com has nice lifts, I have a 10,000LB 2 Post ATLAS lift that has arms that are Symmetrical and A-Symmetrical. My lift has extensions on it because it is a 14 1/2' Ceiling height and I wanted to take advantage of it. A lot of the bolt in 2 post lifts require a 12' Ceiling but they do make others for short ceilings (as long as you dont put your car through it)

Lift.jpg

Thanks guys for the responses!
I've got 12' ceilings as well. I don't know too much about the lifts, how does the 2 post lift compare to a 4 post lift?

As long as he has the ceiling height....One of my buddies with the Jeep would only get about 5' of clearance underneath his Jeep (which yes, is taller than an a-body), so he decided not to do one.

...Two very expensive hobbies!!

4 post are nice for oil changes or storing cars/Stacking, and you just drive on them. But, you need a separate center section to lift the wheels off the ramps... The 4 post also get in the way more when you are working on the car... 2 post take a couple minutes more to get a car in the air, but all the wheels are off the ground and there is little to get in the way...
My 2 post is one of my better investments IMO
Eventually I want to get a 4 post for the other side of the shop to store cars and free up some space but Im glad I purchased the 2 post first...
I have a 4 door Diesel truck that weighs over 8000lbs and it puts it over my head with no problems....

-
Back