The Missile's Front Bumper Choice

-

blue missile

Reaction score
OK Guys here are the choices,
I have already flipped and smoothed the front bumper but it still has the cutout waiting for the graft from another bumper.
I can do that to complete it, or I can fabricate a piece to replicate the front grill out of steel and give the beast more cool air.
I think the question is more about looks than function.
your suggeations are appreciated

Andrew

bumper 1.jpg

bumper 2.jpg

I don't like ether one. Mabby it is just the angel or the photo shop but they both look a little funny to me. But if I had to chose I would go with the first one. pic #2 looks to much like a cow cattcher for me.

Maybe if it were sitting a lot lower so it looked more like ground effects. Mike

yea I agree, I don't like either one..the first would be the one if i had to choose.

For the record the car will be at least four inches lower to the ground. It will also have a front spoiler under the front bumper.
Andrew

That sure looks unusual. Could you possibly post a picture taken from the side?

I just went out and took a side view and another front view. It was raining so sorry for the lighting or the lack there of.
I also plan on adding some sheet metal to the front fender in front of the wheel to bring it closer to the bottom of the yet to be installed front spoiler under the bumper.
As I said the bolts and slots will dissapear on monday. The hole and the rebuilt side returns are waiting for another doner bumper.
Andrew

12-18-08_1743.jpg

12-18-08_1749.jpg

lOOKS LIKE YOU TOOK IT TO A RICER SHOP AND THEY PLAYED A JOKE ON YOU but dam you have some good stories

Geeze, Blue, I don't know what to think.

Is your main aim to create a front air dam along with an unusual bumper design? If that is the case, you might consider getting a hunk of steel to act like a bumper and cover it with sheetmetal to cleanly fair into the fenders and down below.

OK guys, Thank you for the input.
This is one of those cases where it looks much better on paper than in real life.
Fishbreath: the answer was yes.
By flipping the bumper you would send more air to the radiator than under the car. The fact that all the support barckets were symetrical and it was an easy flip didn't hurt either. Once I flipped it and looked at it I didn't like it either. But it was the outside flare at the bottom corners that really got to me , beside the fact which is really hard to see in a two dimensional photo of how far from the body it sticks out on the bottom corners.

I am more than capable of creating the side returns but I don't think that will solve the problem. In either case after I flip it back over, I am still going to fill in the hole where the license plate went. What I call 'Foosing the bumper' I will then bring the sides of the bumper in tight to the body and go from there.

I want to thank you guys for your candor. This will not be the only time I step way out of the box, sometimes it works, sometimes it dosen't. If you guys have been following my story you already know I am not confined by the box, much less barely confined by the planet.LOL
Andrew
PS
I went and found the original drawing, the hood scoop will also be different than drawn.

DUSTER2.jpg

ya know missile, you got me thinking about what would a 73-76 front bumper look like if it had no step at all, all smooth like the 70-72 with the point like the 73-76....hhmmmm..or maybe if you cut horizontally down the bumper and added another lower bumper section... two lower halves welded together....a lot of work but if different is what you're looking for....well, carry on, some really cool stuff comes from the question "What If?"

Blue,

I love your creativity and willingness to try something different. Looking at your drawing, I can see what you are getting at. I wonder what the car would look like with faired-in front end sheetmetal and spoiler, creating somewhat of an air dam effect, but with a '68-style Barracuda bumper instead. It has a much slimmer profile than the one you have and would still give you a flash of chrome across the front end sheetmetal. Just a thought.

blue, if you do decide to do a bumper tuck heres an idea of what it will look like, i did it with my 75 bumper. removed the inner supports and did some creative mounting.

bumpertucketc001.jpg

bumpertucketc004.jpg

bumpertucketc002.jpg

bumpertucketc003.jpg

bumpertucketc005.jpg

i dont know if this will help you make a desicion but there you go

You know guys I knew there was some thing that inspired me to flip the bumper. Other than one I saw at an auto show on a 50s chevy that was reallt nice. The drawing sort of sums it up.This is what I was going for.
Andrew

prostock duster drawing.jpg

-
Back