The neighbor kid and his new (50yr old) car

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
The kid across the street from us dragged this home over the weekend.
Not a kid really (29) or something with 3 kids of his own. (but a kid to me)
It's a 1966 Implala more door and EVERYTHING on/in it is factory stock besides the wheels and paint.
He came driving it in and I could hear it missing, so I walked over to see what he had.
The interior is almost flawless original red, and all the dash and interior accesories are in near perfect condition.
The guy has near zero mechanical experience or knowledge, and very few tools to do anything anyway so I help him out when I can.

He told me the guy he bought it from said it has a V6 in it, and I told him I'd like to see that because they didn't make v6's back then.
He opens the hood and there it is, a complete factory original small block 283 points motor.

I took a quick glance at the plug wires and distributor while he had the hood open and told him the firing order was wrong, and that is probably where the missing was coming from.
Cylinders 5 and 7 were swapped, so I went through the whole firing order and also removing the extra 2 feet on each plug wire that were zip tied to the brake lines as well as routing them in the factory holders.
A few jokes about a V8 missing on two cylinders being a V6 and 20 min later it was ready to test.

Turn the key and it fired right up, smooth as you could ever hope for, with no smoke or any odd noises from the motor at all and running on all 8.
A small adjustment of idle and air/fuel and it runs really nice.

The body is in fantastic condition minus the stupid Foosian paint and all the trim is in the trunk.

Nice little deal for 1,300 bucks, and now I don't have to see his gangstered out ugly 80's Buick Regal out front every day when I go outside. :D

Attachments

• 66Impala.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 313
Interesting car! I respect and appreciate guys like you that are willing to help others out and be a good neighbor!

Great job! cool car-- & now your have a neighbor!! Lawrence

I'm sure he'll be over for tips on maintenance and repairs ..my father had a 65 2dr.bel aire 283 ..that thing ran so smooth if you couldn't see the fan and plugged your ears you would not know it was running.. sweet engine ..I enjoyed working on it

Cool car,in the mid 80s I had a 66 SS396 Impala rode like a caddy but was the biggest mut I ever drove

-
Back