THE NEWER NITTO NT555R11 any good for the drag strip only ?

-

couper 340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The MT ET street ss Radial always worked great for me but now they are getting costly at over $600 a set were the Nittos are
$419 a set for 275 x 60-15'' The last set of et i bough were be for covid and i payed $380. a set. No longer working so have watch what i spend but if the ET are still that much better i will find the money . would like to hear from some one that use the newer nitto nt555r11 and the ET

i was told the 555 extreme drag nitto's should be available in march and i really like them , i have waiting for a set for 2 years my old ones are near pouched .

I ran Nittos about 5 years ago on a high torque stroker. I could never get them to hook up consistently. I blamed it on the hard sidewalls. I bought a set of M/Ts but sold the car before I got to test my theory.

For strip only use, I would pony up for ET street radial pro's. ( I run the 315s on 12" rim). I have never heard anything good about nittos, and don't know anybody that runs them.
(But my 315s were $250 ea when I bought em....)

Last edited:
Nitto states on their website that the NT555 have a stiffer sidewall by design designed for high cornering force auto cross. Very much the opposite of what is needed for hard straight line acceleration from a stop.

Have always had good luck with the 17317 Hoosier 275 drag radial. Excellent tire.
I frankly can’t imagine at the track the Nitto is going to work as good…. Same size to same size.

I ran Nittos about 5 years ago on a high torque stroker. I could never get them to hook up consistently. I blamed it on the hard sidewalls. I bought a set of M/Ts but sold the car before I got to test my theory.
Thank you for your input

For strip only use, I would pony up for ET street radial pro's. ( I run the 315s on 12" rim). I have never heard anything good about nittos, and don't know anybody that runs them.
(But my 315s were $250 ea when I bought em....)
keeping a eye out on prices but the lowest i saw was $295 Ea may be this month

I was looking at the Hoosier DR2 they are the same cost as the et in that size but was not sure which ones are all around the best between the two.

I was looking at the Hoosier DR2 they are the same cost as the et in that size but was not sure which ones are all around the best between the two.

flip a coin. 100 guys, 100 different opinions.
I run the 17317 because it has bit smaller section width, than the other Hoosier and the Mickey.
mild burnout, car is extremely consistent, but it’s only a 10 sec car.
I don’t think you can go wrong either way.

72 Demon 512 low deck 4 speed 3.91s super stock springs comp shocks 3400# with me. First night with this setup I had 275/60 Nitto NT555R. Hooked consistently 1.71 60s low 12s. All of the 2022 race season I ran the Nitto NT555RII 275/60. Best 60 was 1.73. Otherwise was all over the place and destroyed my ET. Tires would hook and not hook. Really depended on the burnout. I ran 14psi in them. Which seemed to keep them more consistent. Idk how I feel about them for sure. This coming season I am going to switch to a slick and better shocks. With the shock change I will try the Nitto again to see if they help at all. I am still learning my setup and working on "better" parts. There is a lot more there but it is left at the line.

Thank for the input . have made up my mind to with the MT et
No experience with other versions of the ET drag radials but even though I’m still playing around with psi on the ET S/S ‘s I run (started out at 16, at 20 now) with a burnout just until I see smoke, the best launches I’ve had so far with a 4500 rpm off idle flash has yielded (3 in a row) 1.54 60’ times. Dead hooking. Others running them do even better obviously. I’ve no need to try anything else as I’ve yet to see how much psi I could run, still dead hooking and possibly chipping away at the 60’

I run Nitto's on both my Mopars. While there are better choices for drag racing, there are no other drag radials out there with a V-speed(186 mph) rating like the Nitto's have. Now I try to keep it under 160 mph as my front tires are only rated at 149 mph on both cars, because you just never know when you'll run into a Ferrari 599 GTO on the highway or feel the need for speed on the backroads of this big country.

Nitto's have a narrow temperature band where they hook very well on the street. I'd guess it ranges from around 100 degrees to about 150 degrees. Above that they feel greasy and spin, and below that they just spin almost like they are wet. Once they are in there sweet spot, they hook very well. I also run mine around 17 psi for around town and 24 psi for longer trips with curves to stiffen up the sidewall.

B1.jpg

-
Back