The official "Damn, I hate moving"thread

-
Around here you can get a moving truck II Men a dolly and moving blankets for 5 hours for under $300. I get as many boxes as I can get full and start them on the furniture heavy stuff dressers beds and all that in the first hour and a half. Well I'm carrying down the small boxes. Anyways my idea is to get all the heavy stuff down and loaded by them and unloaded by them within the 4-Hour minimum then take the next couple days with small boxes nice slow and easy with the cars and trucks we have..

Don’t complain to much!

My last move in 2010 went pretty easy jokingly! The night before I started the move the current house was fully packed and ready and burnt to the ground. Move was easy as only the shed and what was in a storage unit down the street (Tools and Barracuda) survived! I say that with ease today but really sucked on the fateful day! Great Family, friends and Insurance got us through and today is mostly forgotten!

Smile!

We have moved 8 times since getting married 32 years ago.

All ranges of moves from a few miles to 1500 miles plus a 6000 mile move to Hawaii and back. Only 2 were the few miles type.

We learned how to do it and have it down pat...but this last move was the last one we ever want to make.

Moving sucks and it is painful.

We always found it takes 2-3 months to accomplish it right and a year after a move to settle into the new place and start to feel like it is Home.

My best advice is to pack most of it yourself, create a master list of what is in every box (number the boxes and tag the destination location (kitchen, living room, basement etc.) and then hire professionals to do the heavy lifting and move the stuff to the new place.

I agree with keeping all the boxes the same size as much as possible...or within groups of things as you can. Besides packing into the moving truck better, you may need to carry them from room to room and don’t want to be fighting box sizes or weight.

-
Back