The old abandoned 75&80 Drag Strip in Maryland

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Neat video shot by drone of the old 75&80 Drag Strip. Dunno if anyone else has posted, but it is cool. Weird to see it this way. It was the first drag strip I ever visited as a kid in the 80's

CE

Used to go there in the 90's. Nasty dip in the right lane. Never ran there again. Used to have cool car shows/drag racing. It was in decline back then. You can still see it on "Motor Week". They use it to test cars. Used to be nothing around there. Then people kept moving closer. Possibly had something to do with it closing.

Just like every other one that closes. Dragstrips are not popular or dare I say PC today.
Yet shows like street outlaws are popular. Go figure.
Grew up in D.C area and spent many a weekend at that track back in the 80's. Awesome atmosphere in the day and really promoted grudge matches. Mopar vs anyone ,chevy vs ford etc.
Had cool swap meets and shows also.
Shame but like furyus2 said that was a scary *** track to run on even in the late 70's and 80's. Small narrow staging area with spectators right on top of you and narly dips.

I bet it was the cost of insurance that ultimately killed it. Damn shame.

I wonder if it's for sale? A private test track would be cool!

Kinda eerie like they just closed the gate and walked away.

I never made it to 75-80. My first track visiting as a kid in the 70's was US30 in York, PA. Not too far from 75-80.

Was this track in western Maryland? like Fredrick or Hagerstown? I remember going to many Mopar shows there in the 80s. Sad how things change.

It is sad indeed to see a dragstrip close. I have seen two dragstrips close ,close to me that I use to drag race at. Tampa Drags and Twin City Drags.

Was this track in western Maryland? like Fredrick or Hagerstown? I remember going to many Mopar shows there in the 80s. Sad how things change.
Yeah it was south of Frederick, but I think it was still in Frederick county.

I had a teacher in high school that was also a developer. He told me that the track would be shut down soon b/c of development around it. That was in the mid 80's. It lived on though for longer than I thought it would closing down in 2005 I think.

-
Back