The one that got away

-

1969GTS340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Interested in hearing from other members about the one MOPAR that got away.

Mine was back in 1977 while I was driving a 72 340 Demon. A guy from the next
town over that I grew to know from street racing had a 1970 AAR Cuda in Vitamin C
with a bent a push rod. He had reached the point that he was tired of wrenching on
the car and asked if I would consider trading my Demon and $1000 for the Cuda?
The Demon was my daily driver and at the age of 19 I was worried about missing work
while getting the Cuda up and running. I sat on the offer for almost two weeks, then
heard he had sold the car for $2500. :banghead:

1968 Charger 383, my Dad's Ins. agent ended up getting it for 10k...in 2010... :-(

HAAaaaaa. wow! i'd say bout any of us that have been into the mopars have nightmares of some we owned and sold, or some we looked at and didn't jump on..... I won't eeeeeven list any of mine but this one true tales:
good friend near Nashville, called me up and said he had gotten the hots for winged cars but decided to stay with his hemi E's ( he had 2 survivors at the time). Ronnie had 3 superbird projects, all were V code 440-6 cars, all of them were complete except each missed something unique, a fender, or a wing, etc. price was $5,000 take my pick! this was bout ' 94 after the bottom fell out in '91.
one of many true stories. I have to wonder if in a few years people will look back at 2014, and wonder why they let something "get away"?? LOL then maybe not????

In the mid 80's had my 71 Cuda convertible and a guy I knew of had a 70 HEMI CUDA and he kind of wanted my convertible.

He wanted $6,000 for the Hemi car so would have been my car plus a bunch of money ( mine needed restored but was still a driver) so I passed

Have got to know Dave very well and he has had some of the finest Mopar muscle cars I have ever seen. He is also a numbers guy, can tell you part numbers and production numbers for many muscle cars. Mention one and he will tell you who owned it where it is today, unreal the info he retains on these muscle cars.

1986- 68 Dart 426 Hemi $3500 missing engine, body stripped, roll cage welded in missing lots of parts.
No way could I afford that at the time without dire financial circumstances setting in, but it was there.

1987- 69 Charger RT/SE sunroof car $750 needed more body work than I was capable of doing.

1987- 70 Superbird (same owner) $2500 Too much for a 19 year old with a grocery store job.

1988- 70 'Cuda Inviolet original paint very little rust 383 4 speed shaker $2000
Was getting ready to move to FL from OH, and even though I had saved the cash, didn't trust an unfamiliar car on a long trip.

1988- 69 Roadrunner convertible 383 auto buckets Bahama Yellow $2000. Same story as above.

1989- 70 Challenger RT/SE 440 a/c p/w $500 needed quarters and spring perch. No room for projects.

1989- 70 Roadrunner 440+6 (same owner) $500 had horrible body work on LR quarter, rest of car was OK. No room.

1990- 72 Roadrunner 400 4 speed air grabber root beer brown original paint no rust crease above LR wheel $2500 Was working on my 70 Super Bee and 72s were seen as less valuable then despite the nearly perfect body.

1990- 69 Roadrunner 426 Convertible $750 had 383 and 383 hood badges. Didn't have cash, buddy traded a 77 Power Wagon even, then sold the RR for 10K, bought a new F150, blew it up twice, and then abandoned it. RR was 1 of 10.

1991- 67 Satellite 426 Hemi missing engine and lots of parts $500/$1500/$3000 That's right three opportunities to buy this. Official Chrysler position at the time- "ALL 1967 B body Plymouths equipped with the 426 engine, were GTX models..." Now there are about a dozen documented. Didn't have room for another project.

2005- 1965 Belvedere factory super stock 426 wedge 4 speed $8000 no rust original paint. Didn't realize it was a factory 426 car or had historical significance, thought 8K was steep. FBBO member bought and shipped for 25K and was happy with that deal.

2008 - I couldn't persuade a co-worker to part with his 70 Superbird 440, single 4bbl, 4spd.
He acquired the car one weekend after complaining that his dad was forcing him to clean out
his dads old service station garage. The bays were packed solid with boxes of old parts, paint and trash. After taking a lunch break he finally broke through the first wall of boxes and found a car tarped and covered with more boxes. Under it all was the 70 Superbird in its factory faded yellow paint. He trailered it to work the following week to show me where I was able to look over every inch, inside and out. I wasn't in a position to make a strong cash offer so I offered to trade him my 2006 Daytona Charger even up. He always loved my Charger but he was set on keeping the Superbird with plans of painting it black with flames and 22" wheels. He was 19 with no respect for maintaining the cars historic value. I moved from NC a year later and don't know what ever happened in the long run. :violent1:

About 15 years ago could have bought a beautifully restored '67 Ferrari 275GTB for about half of what the restoration cost. It was still a lot of money & I was pretty sure I could afford to get it but it was too much for me to risk. Oooops! If I had about $1.2 million I could buy it today.

Circa 1975, 1969 Hemi Daytona Charger, blue. Owner was selling it $3500.00 Looked at the car on Saturday afternoon, left the guy a $100.00 deposit, went back Monday after work to get the car, He sold it to a Cash Customer for $3100.00 on Sunday evening.
He gave me my $100.00 back. That was that.

Yeah, $3100.00 Remember, back then it was just a "used car".

i'm sure there would be a million of these " the one that gotta way" stories, if everyone took the tie to tell! I give its how ya look at it, but I have no real reqrets, cars make great memories.
about 1990 maybe 91 or 2 ???? I drove to small car show just to see the cars. there was a k and K insurance Daytona, ( complete .... as it was last on Nascar track..... not sure how many they had then. the real deal. little later I meet the brother of the guy that owned it. had no idea it was for sale.
it showed up few weeks later at the little k c mo track. he made a couple of laps in it, announced for sale $10,000. I still say it was a steal even back then...!!???
probably only regret I have was selling off a 70 v code 440- cuda. back bought 94? got tired of hearing the wife (X) complain about my cars... I had striped and blasted it to bare shell, epoxied in and out, had everything to build it, engine, 4 speed, uph, etc.. patch panels. sold it for like $3500.
I know that sounds cheap now, but then....
I was at big swap in Ne that next spring and the buyer walks up to me and starts complaining bout all" he had spent" on that car!!!
he got a great project, at great price, and DIDN"T appreciate the CAR.
I hate selling anything to anyone that has no appreciation of what they bought.. just me....

Circa 1975, 1969 Hemi Daytona Charger, blue. Owner was selling it $3500.00 Looked at the car on Saturday afternoon, left the guy a $100.00 deposit, went back Monday after work to get the car, He sold it to a Cash Customer for $3100.00 on Sunday evening.

Oh Yeah, Back in the day I had a 1969 Coronet RT Convertible, in B5 Blue.
440, 4 speed. Sold it for $2100. And still regret it to this day.
But back then it was only a car.

I would still be pissed about that.

I would still be pissed about that.

Nothing to be pissed about. The other guy showed up, and waved 3100 bucks in his face and he caved. Thee was nothing I could do about it. When I showed up with the other $3400 the car was gone. I was late, and he didn't honor the deposit I gave him. End of story. :dontknow: All the arguing in the world wasn't going to change a thing.

Still sick about it, though. lol

here's one good one. I lived 1 hr n of k c mo. this was like 1989 or 90. I would always look at the want ads in k c sunday paper, ( remember young guns, this was before internet).... nothing under classics, but I always looked under dodge and ply.
there ad says : 1970 Plymouth barracusa $1000.
I call the number get a lady on the phone, I ask if it was a cuda or barracuda. she tells me I don't know, my husband is out behind the garage trying to get it to run, been sitting there 10 years.
back then a 70 318 cuda was worth basically parts car price, maybe couple hundred. I decide to run down there.
he is out back changing points, plugs..... hemi orange, 383 4 sppede, normal rust for a 20 years old car. tells me i'm the second guy to look. first guy gives him a $100 deposit. well my face gets long, a tear or two, THEN he says, the guy came back hour later and asked for his deposit back! (which he returned) ha. YEA!!!!! bout that time it roared to life, exh had fell off, I had him the $1000. says don't ya want to haggle, I said no sir, more than fair.
came back with trailer, no brakes, few days later I was toolin down the road. long gone now!!!!

In late '83 I managed to score a '70 HemiCuda that I scrimped, saved, and borrowed to get. Then in the summer of '86 I met a hot blonde who was "the one". Shortly thereafter there was an engagement, a wedding, and kids. You know what that meant - goodby HemiCuda. Simply couldn't afford to keep both King Kong and a family.:violent1:

Was the blonde worth it? It was really tough letting that car go, but 28 years later I'm still married to her and she still rocks! But I must admit, I sometimes think about that car being that it was the only Hemi car that I ever managed to own.

In high school around 78 or so. Couple of guys I knew had a 71 383 4speed Cuda ragtop and knew I was into Mopars. When they decided to sell, I was the first one they told. High school kid, no money, dad wouldn't spot me the cash either "You'll just wrap it around a pole", he said. Oh, well, I console myself that it was yellow and I don't like yellow. And it needed some work.

Steve

The one that pisses me off the most, was an AAR Cuda that I missed out on in 1977. It was for sale in a local trade paper. Vitamin C 4 speed car, with 25K miles on it. It was garage kept, and absolutely perfect. I had a 74 F100 short bed Ford pickup, and the guy was selling the AAR to buy a pickup. He offered to trade even! I owed a little bit on the truck, and the bank wasn't having any part of it. I even tried to convert the remainder of my loan ($1200ish) to a personal loan, and the bank said the AAR wasn't worth it as collateral. :violent1: I sadly had to give up on it, and the owner sold the car to an idiot who rolled it about 4 times and totaled it! GD stupid MF SOB!!!!!! I gotta go take a blood pressure pill. :banghead:

As a teen I finally talked my dad into purchasing us a 1971 Roadrunner from the local dealer and we went down there together to order one, Bahama Yellow with airgrabber hood. Before closing the deal, the salesman first offered us a lemon twist model left over from the 1970's models. Without any consideration whatsoever, we immediately refused to have anything to do with last year's model, a 1970 Superbird!

-
Back