The quality of brand x's stuff

-

rp23g7

Reaction score
So I am taking the engine and trans out of my sons 85 Cutlass, its got a 350/350 combo from a 79 G20 van, not sure why a 3/4 ton van wouldn't have a TH400, but WTH.

I have done many trans services on Mopars and others, and have never seen worse ugliness than whats inside Gm trans pans.

I did a fluid change on my 64 Dodges 727, in 88 or so, my dad say that was its first, slight grey film on the bottom of the pan, this car was a daily driver its whole life, drove to Texas from Seattle, one or twice.

My 67 Satellite, had the same slight film in its pan, when I changed the fluid in 95, don't know if it had been done before, but it had been drag raced a bunch in the few months before I bought it.

My sons car, with the van trans in it, I took the pan off, and it had total sludge on the bottom, yuck,

Another trans I did, another GM, a 95 Front wheel drive car had a ton of goop I it too, I made they guy sign a paper that I wouldn't be held responsible for his trans going out, which it did, the day after, after I changed his fluid.

Is this pretty normal? Have you guys seen this also with Chrysler trans not wearing as much as other transmissions?

The sludge on the bottom of the pan is a combo of friction material and aluminum from the converter fins, and is normal (to a point)

New fluid can kill a worn trans as you know from mentioning the disclaimer, but I have not noticed some wear more than others. (done a bunch of different ones)

-
Back