The return of stolen cars

-

Oldmanmopar

Going left turning right
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
In 1973 My 1969 R/T and 1970 340 Swinger were stolen the same night from two different locations. No insurance , Total loss. I knew it had to be someone I knew that was aware I was out of town. but did not know who.

In 1982 I sold a 340 demon I took a truck on a trade. We transfered the truck title. But he didn't have all the money for the car so He took the car and I held the title. He was to come back the next day to pay and transfer the title. He never came back and I never saw the car .

Around 2004 I get a call from a towing company about a swinger for sale he towed in from a rental garage. No title because they couldn't find the owner. I bought it for $500.00

I owned several orange 340 swingers over the years . Never expecting to ever see my car again I stopped looking. After getting it home it took about a month until I recognized It was my car. I still had the title.

Two days after buying the Dart I went to look at a Demon. We Struck a number at $1200.0 and I bought it. I drove him to his house from the storage unit To get the title. He went in and never came out. I knocked at the door and a lady answered. The man she said asked to use the phone. After he called he went ot the back. I never saw him again.

Later my son was going through old pictures and saw the car in the driveway had the same dents as a car I had pictures of on the roof. Low and behold again another car came home. Then After thinking about the guy he was the same guy who bought it from me but much older. He probably new me but I didn't recognize him. Again I still had the title.

Here are some pics of the Dart when It came home You can see the fender was damaged when it was stolen. It had no brakes and was at a shop when they took it. The pics of the Demon are from my driveway years before and then sitting in front of the dart. when they both came home.

It gets better. After going to a show and seeing a Pink 70 Dart i struck a coversation with the owner. I brought up I just bought a 340 swinger. He asked me where I lived and I told him. While at work the next day he showed up at my house in his unmarked crown vick. He wanted to see the car and my wife wouldn't let him in the fenced area because of the dogs. The next day he showed up again with the same unmarked and a marked with two state troppers.

They were there to arrest me for recieving stolen property. He was a constable and said this was his Dart and he knew I bought it without the title because he had it stored where it was removed. I explained to him and his biddies that I would let him in and he could look at the car . If he says it is deffinately his . He would be the one getting arrested. I then told him I knew where he got the car in 1973. I remembered who he hung out with. and then I knew who was envloved.

Afterwards I called the State Police Barracks and explained what had happened. I gave them the Vins from both cars. They called back and told me the R/T was registered and was currently owned by someone in Pa. They wouldn't tell me who. A duplicate title was given for the car 4 years back. The dup. supersedes the original as long as the car is in his possesion.

I found the R/T its only a matter of time and I will jump in it and drive it away. I carry a 69 ignition to every show. The new owner was friends with the the guy who came for the Dart. My friends from back then? Wasn't hard to find the car once I remembered who he hung with. I actually did work on this guys 74 RR and we reminessed old times and I never had a clue he had my car.

The guy that came here for the Dart is from Jim Thorp Pa. Some might know him

Both these cars were sold at Carlisle Pa. Someone on here may now be the owner. Here are the pics

Attachments

• 72demon3.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,197
  • 72demon4.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,193
  • 72demon2.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,166
  • O dart.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,198
  • scan0013.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,175
wow , great story. its amazing the demon still has the rallye wheels on it. glad to hear you are getting them all back. that stuff never happens. hopefully the responsible parties are getting their paybacks.

Wild story! You arn't that far from me...Maybe a hour and fifteen minutes.

So the jerk is a cop now? What did he say when you told him he new who he was and you were gonna have him arrested? Did he $h!t his pants? Crazy story! Wow!

i'd call the FBI and explain it to them. especially since someone acting as a police officer came to your house to take your car that had been stolen previously.

So the jerk is a cop now? What did he say when you told him he new who he was and you were gonna have him arrested? Did he $h!t his pants? Crazy story! Wow!

X2 I would like to know what happened to the constable myself.

The constable left with his tail between his legs. The tropper didn't have anything else to say. They went from 6 feet tall to about 3 feet. The greatest happened when I was on the five spots Right across from the car corral at Carlisle. He was set up right down the isle and had to watch me sell the car that he hid for years. I should have kept it but I had to many at that time and needed the money for another project.

I have seen my R/T at the fathers day show at Reagle dodge in Bangor Pa. The dealer that helps fund our sprint car. The guy knows I am onto him and every time I show up he leaves. Its only a matter of time and I will have my R/T Back. I know there will be a legal battle but I am ready for what ever comes ny way.

I was told when I take it to scrape the sticker and toss the plate. Have my original title with me. Then it becomes Civil not criminal for me. If he shows up at court he will have to explain where he purchaced the car. And how he got the duplicate.

I have been round and round with the auto theft division out of Harrisburg. They will not step in because the theft was almost 40 years ago. They can't even find the Theft report. So they say. But who knows if the Troopers have a friend in this dept.

The R/T is not the same color but carries the same vin with a data plate that matches the car as it was redone. This is the problem I see with repo data tags.

Also If someone steals your car and has a duplicate title reasigned. It supersedes the original. This is bull ****. If it would had envolved any one but a trooper and a constable I am sure there would have been an arrest and I would have my R/T back.

I was stupid I should have left him tell me that the car was his and envolved the law before letting him know he stole the car from me. He had no clue who I was before I told him wher he stole the car from.

This is one reason I hate most cops. They are above the law.

I will keep you posted on The R/T.

Does anyone know who bought the Brown 72 Demon or the Orange Dart. Who ever bought the orange Dart also bought a blue 72 demon from me the same day. I took a Black 62 dodge 2 dr sedan rust bucket as partial trade That day.

you could always hire a lawyer and sue for the complete value of the car.
do you happen to have a copy of the police report you filed way back then maybe up in the attic or something?

if you had that police report, and a judge saw that, he would nail the guy.
you would get the car back + legal fees + damages + a new investigation

Watch for my next thread with pictures of the 58 Fury that killed its original owner. Took the legs off of someone in a yard . Injured a employee at a body shop in Harrisburg . Respocible for a Apartment burning to the ground and Taking my fathers life at age 54. An un believeable story . And the remainder of the fury in a Belvedere at Carlisle forsale . You will remember the car if you were at carlisle this year. There were several there. When I was walking torward the Christines I knew this was my car just by the chills it gave me from across the field. When I found the owner he recognized me and told me why it was forsale.

Crazy story about your cars being stolen, and you got my attention on the 58 Fury.

My head hurts, I can't figure out what going on with the police, but I'm glad you got two of of your cars back.

I was told when I take it to scrape the sticker and toss the plate. Have
Also If someone steals your car and has a duplicate title reasigned. It supersedes the original. This is bull ****. If it would had envolved any one but a trooper and a constable I am sure there would have been an arrest and I would have my R/T back.

Why don't you apply for a duplicate duplicate title??? Then YOUR duplicate title will trump HIS duplicate title.

(Hold onto the original JIC).

Why don't you apply for a duplicate duplicate title??? Then YOUR duplicate title will trump HIS duplicate title.

(Hold onto the original JIC).

Why didn't I think of that??? I am going to check into this tommorrow. I have the original I can go there with a copy.

boy that is one captivating story....gotta keep us all informed .....the idea that you want to steal back your R/T is just movie plot insane..but something i'd do to the bas#$%$td!

the whole cop stealing your car and trying to get it back is just way to crazy...holy sh%t

a smile on my face aand a few laughs as i read it...you made my evening..thanks man:prayer:

This might be my favorite thread... what a story! Keep us updated! You deserve your own movie or at least episode on speed channel for this

This might be my favorite thread... what a story! Keep us updated! You deserve your own movie or at least episode on speed channel for this

I'm just glad I drank a half bottle of rum before reading this.... my head would be killing me! :coffee2:

Glad to hear your getting your cars back! And yes, please keep us updated! Wow, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this story!

The worst part is Alot of you that go to Carlisle know this guy. Go to craigs list and type in mopars in the Jim Thorpe area Pa.

-
Back