The school of fish takes a short swim

-

Mopar Vince

I'd rather push my Mopar than drive any Ford
Reaction score
The school of fish saga continues. To recap. My young neighbor bought a derelict 68 fastback cuda that I had tried to buy from the long time owner several times with no success. His car had been sitting for 20+ years with a blown head gasket and a broken rear window. So now after installing some rebuilt heads, electronic ignition, clean fuel tank and a new carb and repairing the window channel rust and installing the replacement window with a new gasket; my young friend is building up confidence in his newly resurrected 68 Barracuda by taking some short cruises.
Yesterday's adventure for him and his car was a 22 mile trip into Santa Cruz from Watsonville.
About 2pm I got a call at work that he had gotten to his destination but now the car won't move.
"Dude! I think my transmission is toast." He tells me in a worried voice.
So we go through the possibilities on the phone since I was not off work until 3.
Trans fluid? Yes.
Trans linkage? Yes.
Do the tires move if jacked up? Fronts - yes, rears - no.
Is it in neutral for sure? Yes.
Your rear drums are locked.
So I tell him to hit the drum with a BFH (big fuckin hammer)
Bang! Pop!
And just like that; it was free and rolling.
So I asked him, "what did the shoes springs and wheel cylinders look like?"
His answer was "I don't know. They worked and had solid pedal when I first tried them so I didn't look any more."
Next we will go through the 4 wheel manual drum system to get them working until he can afford to do a disc swap.
I told him to get ready for the next thing to break.
What thing? He asked.
I told him it'll be something different every time he takes for a drive for the next year or so but to not lose faith.
And that with common sense and common tools we can fix anything.
Stay tuned.
School isn't out yet.
Here's a short clip of his happy face once again cruising in his dream-nightmare Barracuda.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/o9jr4Qdhv8hgf2NMA

Yep you gave him a realistic and fair warning. Be prepared lol.
Glad ya got him mobile again!:thumbsup:
And his smile tells it all lol.

-
Back