The Slant is leaking from the Carter BBD

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
I have the 66 dart with 225 slanted 6. Swapped over to Super Six about 2 years ago.
Over time it seems to have developed a gas leak out of the carter bbd, which I have rebuilt twice in 2 years hoping to fix the leak.
It seems to be leaking gas out of the carb, down the front and then onto the intake manifold. At first I thought it was the fuel line, but have ruled that out with Gasolina sealent. The little vacuum plug is always coated with wet gas. Any ideas on what is happening? I keep tightening the screws that hold the carb together, they seem to loosen every few months.
What is this thing just below the fuel inlet? is that some sort of bushing? certainly seems to be wet with gas. helppp//.....

Carter Carb Leak - 1.jpg
Carter Carb Leak - 2.jpg
Carter Carb Leak - 3.jpg
Carter Carb Leak - 4.jpg

I think that is some kind of soft metal plug. If the gas seems to be coming out of there, well, that's your problem. I'm not sure how you would go about removing it non-violently. I would say use a torch but that seems inadvisable unless the carb was completely stripped down and ideally immersed in water. You could scrub it and try some JB Weld on the surface.

Well I am going through a carb learning session currently for 4bbl's but I've been using a slightly newer model of that carter for a long time. I've use old original, remanufactured, rebuilt and smog version.
My suggestion would be to clean the whole area with brake cleaner (careful of hoses) then dry fully with compressed air (compressor or canned air). There's 4 or 5 places to leak rite on the front so before running the engine check closely for moisture all around the area in question every little while until the moisture can be seen, you may need to repeat if the wet area got to large for a pinpoint. Unless the carb got cracked or distorted all leaks can basically be stopped, once you find the location you will be able to fix asap yourself or someone here can tell you what's needed. The rubber cap leaking is most floats being to high with a likely bad gasket allowing gas into the vacuum ports. As for the screws backing out that's probably due to the ware on the threads in the carb just getting ever so slightly worn, this can be fixed by using a good blue paste thread locker.

-
Back