The stripe is on!

-
So why, you might ask, does the stripe have a bend in the middle of the trunk lid? The 69 and earlier lids were flat and when viewed from the back stripes appeared straight across the lid. When they tried straight stripes on the 1970 lid, from the back they looked bent. Clever Chrysler design folk installed the bend so that when viewed from the back, they appear straight (optical illusion). go ahead and try it, stand 10 feet or more from the back of the car.

So why, you might ask, does the stripe have a bend in the middle of the trunk lid? The 69 and earlier lids were flat and when viewed from the back stripes appeared straight across the lid. When they tried straight stripes on the 1970 lid, from the back they looked bent. Clever Chrysler design folk installed the bend so that when viewed from the back, they appear straight (optical illusion). go ahead and try it, stand 10 feet or more from the back of the car.
I agree with you 100%. I looked at so many pictures of stripes that looked like they went straight across and I wasn't sure what the correct design was. I finally found some old factory adds that had the angle that I was looking for, that had kept eluding my mind. Lol

The stripe is on and I'm very happy how it turned out! I used John Deere Blitz Black paint with a hardener and once I thinned it down a lot it came out really nice. I'm thinking about painting the hood with it also. It's a Scamp and not a Dart so the paint scheme wouldn't be original for the car but I like the look so it's good enough for me.
View attachment 1715991592

View attachment 1715991593

View attachment 1715991594

View attachment 1715991595

View attachment 1715991596

View attachment 1715991597
So you actually painted that on. Great job!

Well, yesterday I did some work on the steering issue that I had. The steering coupler was hitting the header a little bit when I was turning the wheel.
20190411_152532.jpg
I was going to try dimpling the header first but there wasn't enough room to get at it easily. So, I made a 3/16" shim to put under the motor mount. I slotted the shim so it would just slide down around the bolt once I raised the engine enough. I used a wrecking bar between the steering box and header to easily pry up on the engine about 1/4" and it slid right in.
Tightened up the motor mount and the whole process, making the shim and installing, it took about an hour.
Today looked like a nice day to take It for a spin and see how the repairs worked out.
But first!

IMG_20221123_133811.jpg
I had to move the snow blower out of the way. Lol
IMG_20221123_133923_1CS.jpg

After a quick drive, I verified that the repairs were indeed, successful. Nor more clearance issues. Yay!

-
Back