The tale of the $350.00 distributor

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My story starts on my way to work. I drive 50 miles each way and thought it was a nice day to drive my 67 Dart Convertible. 3/4 way there the engine started to misfire. At first it was a stumble, then more misfires, then some backfires, then lack of power barely able to move under its own power. Luckily I got it to my work safely.

For the record... plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, points, condenser, were replaced 2 months ago. Carb was rebuilt at the same time. I did not replace the coil ( I think it is the original as it says made in the USA and has flats on the + and - posts)

That afternoon I looked at the symptoms and possible causes.
1. The timing chain had been replaced 10,000 miles ago and when the engine is rotated by hand the rotor moved instantaneously in either direction. Most likely not the timing chain.
2. The distributor cap inside center contact was destroyed, instead of a rounded point it looked more like the top of a molar in you mouth. Likely reason for a misfire.
3. Rotor had a round doughnut pattern to the contact where it contacts the cap center contact. probably due to the destruction of the center contact.
4. Points looked good and I had 30 deg dwell.
5. Spark was strong but not consistent ( what you would expect from an electrical misfire)
6. Accelerator pump shot fuel into the carb
7. No gushing of fuel into the carb at idle or off idle
8. 12 V to the ballast resistor.
9. 6-8 volts at the coil while running
10. Ignition timing was right where it was supposed to be.
11. tried advancing and retarding, no improvement

Off to the parts store...

Bought cap, rotor, coil. Replaced the parts and no improvement.

Being 50 miles from home and having limited tools and time I had the Dart towed home $$$.

Today I started doing more investigation.

1. checked ballast resistor. functioned correctly
2. opened carb, everything looked and functioned good
3. disconnected the coil capacitor, no improvement
4. disconnected the condenser, no improvement but I did notice the lead wire from the coil to the points felt odd.
5. replaced the lead wire, no improvement.
6. replaced the capacitor and condenser and of course dropped a nut into the dist!!!
7. pulled the dist to retrieve the nut.

I found the dist shaft had end play up and down. seemed excessive but I had nothing to compare it to so I assumed it was normal. I noticed that the inside of the dist had metal or other dust / fragments in the bottom, and a circle where it looked like the bottom of the plate that holds the centrifugal weights and springs might have been ribbing. I cleaned it out and reassembled and lubed the dist and put it back into the engine.

Still major misfire.

I started investigating how much end play is too much when I remembered that my dad had kept the original dist (not sure why he replaced it with the one in the engine now) so I pulled it out to see if it had end play. Barely any... maybe a few thousandths I thought what the heck and swapped it in (the old dist has sat in a box, points in place for 30 years and and it had 264,000 miles on it when it was removed in 1987)

turned key.... Fired right up. No misfire, no stumble, no issues.
I oiled the side oil port cap and took it for a spin. The dwell was 29 doesn't get better than that.

I looked at the old dist. it had 86 thousandths of play. My guess is that the shaft was moving up and down enough for the rotor to no longer make contact with the cap contact and throughing spark all over the place.

so why is this the tale of the $350.00 distributor....

Rotor, cap, coil, dwell tach meter ~ $50.00
Tow 50 miles on a flatbed ~$300.00
Replacement dist- Free

So the moral of the story.... Keep a spare Dist, 1/2 inch box wrench, 5/16 ignition wrench in the trunk. save your self $350.00!

Enjoy!

My story starts on my way to work. I drive 50 miles each way and thought it was a nice day to drive my 67 Dart Convertible. 3/4 way there the engine started to misfire. At first it was a stumble, then more misfires, then some backfires, then lack of power barely able to move under its own power. Luckily I got it to my work safely.

For the record... plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, points, condenser, were replaced 2 months ago. Carb was rebuilt at the same time. I did not replace the coil ( I think it is the original as it says made in the USA and has flats on the + and - posts)

That afternoon I looked at the symptoms and possible causes.
1. The timing chain had been replaced 10,000 miles ago and when the engine is rotated by hand the rotor moved instantaneously in either direction. Most likely not the timing chain.
2. The distributor cap inside center contact was destroyed, instead of a rounded point it looked more like the top of a molar in you mouth. Likely reason for a misfire.
3. Rotor had a round doughnut pattern to the contact where it contacts the cap center contact. probably due to the destruction of the center contact.
4. Points looked good and I had 30 deg dwell.
5. Spark was strong but not consistent ( what you would expect from an electrical misfire)
6. Accelerator pump shot fuel into the carb
7. No gushing of fuel into the carb at idle or off idle
8. 12 V to the ballast resistor.
9. 6-8 volts at the coil while running
10. Ignition timing was right where it was supposed to be.
11. tried advancing and retarding, no improvement

Off to the parts store...

Bought cap, rotor, coil. Replaced the parts and no improvement.

Being 50 miles from home and having limited tools and time I had the Dart towed home $$$.

Today I started doing more investigation.

1. checked ballast resistor. functioned correctly
2. opened carb, everything looked and functioned good
3. disconnected the coil capacitor, no improvement
4. disconnected the condenser, no improvement but I did notice the lead wire from the coil to the points felt odd.
5. replaced the lead wire, no improvement.
6. replaced the capacitor and condenser and of course dropped a nut into the dist!!!
7. pulled the dist to retrieve the nut.

I found the dist shaft had end play up and down. seemed excessive but I had nothing to compare it to so I assumed it was normal. I noticed that the inside of the dist had metal or other dust / fragments in the bottom, and a circle where it looked like the bottom of the plate that holds the centrifugal weights and springs might have been ribbing. I cleaned it out and reassembled and lubed the dist and put it back into the engine.

Still major misfire.

I started investigating how much end play is too much when I remembered that my dad had kept the original dist (not sure why he replaced it with the one in the engine now) so I pulled it out to see if it had end play. Barely any... maybe a few thousandths I thought what the heck and swapped it in (the old dist has sat in a box, points in place for 30 years and and it had 264,000 miles on it when it was removed in 1987)

turned key.... Fired right up. No misfire, no stumble, no issues.
I oiled the side oil port cap and took it for a spin. The dwell was 29 doesn't get better than that.

I looked at the old dist. it had 86 thousandths of play. My guess is that the shaft was moving up and down enough for the rotor to no longer make contact with the cap contact and throughing spark all over the place.

so why is this the tale of the $350.00 distributor....

Rotor, cap, coil, dwell tach meter ~ $50.00
Tow 50 miles on a flatbed ~$300.00
Replacement dist- Free

So the moral of the story.... Keep a spare Dist, 1/2 inch box wrench, 5/16 ignition wrench in the trunk. save your self $350.00!

Enjoy!
104_1584.JPG
104_1580.JPG

Bet you never miss that clue again. :D
And the marks in the bottom of the housing were screaming at you.

Good old parts store rebuilds, you would be amazed how many I get in that have no shaft bushings on them and the bushing between the dist shaft and cam plate is worn excessively.

Bet you never miss that clue again. :D
And the marks in the bottom of the housing were screaming at you.

Don't you know it! Sad thing is I couldn't see the bottom of the dist housing without removing the barker plate. And I only removed the dist and the breaker plate because I dropped the darn nut, I would still be trouble shooting the darn thing.

LOL I can see from the pic the bushing is upside down! They are all drilled per shaft, because the tolerances are so loose, new ones come with one hole drilled that you shim it to it then drill through, just FYI, surprised they got the pin in that way! Man that sucks bad!

That's an expensive tow! Got a rollback to bring my 47 from where it was sitting to my house - about 40 miles - $125!

That's what I thought too. The last time I had a car towed from work it was around 150. But what are you going to do on a Friday at 4:30PM

Bad dist disassembled
104_1591.JPG

Inside dist cap (nice patterns on the posts not sure if that is good or bad! cap is only 2 moths old)
104_1585.JPG

Someone has been doing doughnuts on the rotor
104_1586.JPG

The results of a bushing gone bad
104_1607.JPG

Where is the rest of the upper thrust washer
104_1596.JPG

Interesting shape to the top of the bushing
104_1614.JPG

and now we know how the gouges were made.
104_1613.JPG

LOL I have seen worse believe it or not, the top thrust washer is definitely worn, but not that much, I do se a bend in the pic of the top of the dist shaft plate where the weights and springs mount but might just be the picture, but there is a plastic washer missing that covers the oil holes in the top of the distributor, it usually sits just about flush with the top bushing could be a PART of the issue also.

Original??? dist my dad had kept when he replaced it with the bad one 30 years ago. note the side oil port! Grinding on left side is questionable but the paint matches the other parts that were not stripped during an engine rebuild.
104_1617.JPG

LOL I have seen worse believe it or not, the top thrust washer is definitely worn, but not that much, I do se a bend in the pic of the top of the dist shaft plate where the weights and springs mount but might just be the picture, but there is a plastic washer missing that covers the oil holes in the top of the distributor, it usually sits just about flush with the top bushing could be a PART of the issue also.

not sure where you are referring to about a plastic washer. There was some black gunk that cleaner and towels did not budge between the top thrust washer and where it meets the under side of the centrifugal weight plate. see the last photo in the group of photos. could that be the remnants of a plastic washer?

NO let me find a pic should have been there the only ones without them has the oil cup on the side like the origionals.

Here it is it keeps the oil from getting into the "cup" area 99% of the time they are clogged. That grinding almost looks like a grinding wheel or sanding pad hit it, no worries it is working fine.

DSC01604.JPG

DSC01605.JPG

You really cannot see it in the pic it sits flush with the top of the upper bushing, bet that's what happened to that washer, still not enough for .080 of shaft play, that bushing is upside down bet you just slap the shaft in with the shims and you will see the hole for the roll pin will be right on if you flip it and very little play.

That's what I thought too. The last time I had a car towed from work it was around 150. But what are you going to do on a Friday at 4:30PM

And they got you over a barrel cause it is on a Friday and you gotta get yourself and the car home!

I figured. I do notice that when I get cores that have no tags/numbers on them they are usually store rebuilds and some do not have them why I have no ide.

Good old parts store rebuilds, you would be amazed how many I get in that have no shaft bushings on them and the bushing between the dist shaft and cam plate is worn excessively.
So true. I had a points distributor (which came with a motor I bought) that looked to be fresh from the store. I installed a pertronix 2 kit in it, and stuck it in the 360 in my '65 Belvedere. Couldn't get it to run right for the life of me. Swapped the P2 kit over to the scuzzy original-from-the-poly-318 distributor, and it's run like a champ for the last 5 years. Matter of fact, I didn't even clean it.

I think they stopped the oil cup in 68, really not 100% sure of when.

Great example that distributor is a 70, looks like may. Your original will be 65 to 67 just the case and have numbers stamped on it also on that pad on the side.

The top of the bushing in the photo is flat. the top of mine is not
bushing.jpg

-
Back