The weirdest thing...

-

2shelbys

Reaction score
The weirdest thing happened tonight. At about 9:30 my wife and I heard a noise that sounded like maybe someone had smashed one of your big pumpkins on the sidewalk so of course I flew right out there and.....nothing. We stood there for a few seconds and heard what sounded like running water so I thought maybe someone's hose had burst across the street. I walked across the street and found out that the back window had blown out of our neighbors Saturn and was still very actively crackling, resulting in the running water sound. It is a 2002 and has it's original glass so it was not recently replaced poorly. Looking at it we noticed that a section across about half of the middle of the window about 4 or 5 inches wide (top to bottom) was bowed outward as though there was some serious pressure on the glass and there was a huge hole on the left and a smaller one on the right. Temperatures were mild and his windows were open. All I could think of was that maybe he has a frame issue because of rust or broken welds but there was no sign of anything in the body panels or under the car. Weird. Freaking GM!

Check around for a old broken spark plug in the debris, or somthin as simple as a glass marble. Punks think it's funny to toss a tiny chip of porcelin out the window to watch the glass pop.

Check around for a old broken spark plug in the debris, or somthin as simple as a glass marble. Punks think it's funny to toss a tiny chip of porcelin out the window to watch the glass pop.
This window blew outward and was still bowed outward and the two holes were at the ends of the bowed section. It was not broken by anything from the outside. I was right there by my open front window. There was no one around and no cars passing by. It was just sitting in the empty parking lot. Looking at the glass it looked like there was a huge weight pushing on the window until it burst.

A buddy had a ford exploder and it was parked in his locked shop. You guessed it, the rear hatch window exploded. No reason whatsoever.

I used to work for a glass and mirror shop for 3 years, installing mirrors and tempered shower units. I can tell you from experience that tempered glass works in weird ways. It takes very very little to explode tempered glass when its edges get hit by something. On the other hand i remember throwing out some glass shower units that were 8mm temepered and i hit them with a hammer on the pannel side and it would take a few hits to make em pop.

Just a few months ago the rear hatch window in my dads mid 90's caravan exploded, we think it was because he had taken the wiper blade off and the wiper arm was rubbing against the window and eventually scratched deep enough in the right spot and boom! lol

When I went out this morning more of the glass had fallen out. The hole was a big bow tie shape. Nice way to let people know who built the car!

If I was back in eastern Washington I would say it was a drive by and they shot through the side window.

I used to work for a glass and mirror shop for 3 years, installing mirrors and tempered shower units. I can tell you from experience that tempered glass works in weird ways. It takes very very little to explode tempered glass when its edges get hit by something. On the other hand i remember throwing out some glass shower units that were 8mm temepered and i hit them with a hammer on the pannel side and it would take a few hits to make em pop.

Just a few months ago the rear hatch window in my dads mid 90's caravan exploded, we think it was because he had taken the wiper blade off and the wiper arm was rubbing against the window and eventually scratched deep enough in the right spot and boom! lol

I worked for a glass company for 2 yrs and you are correct. Tempered glass is a strange animal. It was fun popping tempered panels to fit into the dumpster.:-D

-
Back