There's More to Like at Burger Chef

-
First, we had a Burger Chef in Topeka in the early 70s, and it was nasty.
Second, YOU MIXED BLEACH AND AMMONIA??? That gives off Chlorine Gas.
Yeahh...LOL... They did it for years like that. I guess someone finally told them it was BAAAAADDDD... The smell used to get to me once in a while.....:eek::eek:

Had them in NY couldn't compete with Mc/D and burger king.. not bad as I remember.. also had Henry's 15 cent burger/18 cheese burgers... and Red Barn

View attachment 1715405039

View attachment 1715405040
Oh man, Red Barn! Thanks for the picture. haven't thought about that for awhile. Growing up in western N.Y. state in the late 60's we didn't have a McDonalds or BK in our small town. 18 miles away in the next town there was a Red Barn though. Begged my parents to stop every time we passed. Thanks for the memories.

We had a Red Barn as well.

It closed for a while and then became Burger Boy's Hamburger Heaven, which was the choice car cruise hangout all through high school.

We had them in the Washington DC area. 4 or 5 of them. After my career as a newspaper distributor, I landed a job at my local Burger Chef , at age 15. Had to have a work permit from the state of Maryland, to work. I remember making $1.25 an hour. Worked there for a few years, and they even made me Night Manager. This is crazy, but we used to clean the floors every night with Ammonia and Bleach ???? WTF. Never knew about the dangers. Maybe that whats wrong with me Now.:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Was there for about three years. One night, the General Managers wife was working the front line, but she was loafing and just not helping the other girls. So I told her to get to work, or Id fire her. Well I fired her. Next day , the Owners called me in and FIRED ME !!! WTF ???? The following week, I started my career in Auto Parts at an Independent store. Think they paid me $1.75 as a delivery boy.... Worked my may up in the company, then bought a store from the old guys, then opened 2 more. Sold out to Carquest in 2000, at the age of 44 :thumbsup:

I seem to recall the Burger Chefs in the DC area becoming Gino's. At least thats what happened with the one near me at Seven Corners in Falls Church. But Gino's didn't last long in the area. Never ate at either Burger Chef or Gino's. By the time I was in high school, I think the Ginos at Seven Corners had become a Pizza Hut.

upload_2019-10-8_10-45-18.jpeg

upload_2019-10-8_10-45-48.jpeg

Since we’re trippin’ down memory lane.......

Jack in the Box
Growing up in Fairfax,va Jack in the box was the spot. Closest one to us was in merrifield about 15 mins. away but wow. Became a cruise in site in late 7O’s then when they offered burritos & tacos in the early 8O’s we lost our minds. This was unheard of at the time & they actually created the burrito supreme not Taco Bell which bought them out in mid 80’s on east coast. Friday & Saturday nights where insane as you could fill a drunken belly for $2 and view hot cars & chicks. Great memories.

-
Back