Thermoquad 400 V8 sucks fuel /runs rich

-

oldmopardude

Reaction score
I'm going to rebuild my TQ,as it is really puling down the fuel, runs rich, and floods after a few minutes of being shut off. Anything I need to look for? All my experience has been with Carter AFB or AVS. This is the first TQ I've had since 1990, I didn't like them then, so I'm biased. Any suggestions would be helpful. A 67' 383 Intake and AFB are sitting on the shelf if I can't fix this TQ.

Sounds like the o-rings in the bowl are bad, the rebuild kit will have new ones.

Attachments

• mopp_0501_13_z+carburetor_tq_dyno+o_rings.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 136
Thank you itate, Looking around for another carb, I found brand new rebuild kit still in plastic, dated 1993. I am a bit of a hoarder. Are the TQ kits all similar? I will get the box number, as it is a Sorenson kit. My car is the 77' 400 Cordoba.

My 1st carb I rebuilt was a TQ, and it wasnt hard. Above post is correct with the orings. Also chk over the phenolic(blk) spacer to make sure there are no cracks. Do yourself a favor and inspect as you take it part. There should be no fuel in the bottom plate. If there is, there is a leak. Chk for play in the throttle shafts. Once disassembled, put fuel/parts cleaner in the phenolic spacer and let sit to chk for leaks. Here is a link that was a great reference for me

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...04_rebuilding_a_carter_thermoquad_carburetor/

-
Back