Thermoquad Carb

-

DODGESTRIKE

Reaction score
hi .well nobody here in mexico seems to like the thermoquad and always suggest to switch to annoter carburetor just one old man use to tune it but now he is gone and i dont want to use another carb so what tools do i need to disasemble-assemble and tune it??

hi .well nobody here in mexico seems to like the thermoquad and always suggest to switch to annoter carburetor just one old man use to tune it but now he is gone and i dont want to use another carb so what tools do i need to disasemble-assemble and tune it??

Really good all-around carb, especially the '72-'74 carbs.

You will need the following tools:
1)3/16" nut driver or socket for the choke plate screws,
2)standard thin slot blade screwdriver for the small metering rod cover screws,
3)large blade screwdriver to remove the old needle seats & primary jets,
4)medium size slot head screwdriver to remove all 10 main body screws and the accelerator pump nozzle cluster, the choke pull-off from the base(some models use a 5/16" screw head),
5)scribe to remove the needle seat gaskets.
6)**use a small blade screwdriver to remove all linkage clips**.
7)vise grip pliers to remove the air cleaner stud.
8)#2 phillips screwdriver to drive down the accelerator pump through the top.
9)5/16" open wrench.

Dis-assembly:

a)Start with the removal of the choke plate and its parts,
b)remove the metering rod covers and assembly/spring,
c)remove the choke pull-off linkage and accelerator pump linkage,
d)remove the accelerator pump arm/screw, and accel pump cluster and the small brass check valve under the cluster,
e)remove the air cleaner stud,
f)remove all 10(two are down in the choke well to the back)main body screws,
g)separate the top/bowl/base; but invert the top of the carb above the bowl to bet the rear driver side 2ndary lock-out linkage from the end of the lock-out shaft,
h)remove both float pins/needles/seats/gaskets,
i)remove the old accelerator pump transfer tube,
j)remove the old accelerator pump with a #2 phillips screwdriver by driving the end of the stem sticking through the top plate and a small hammer to k)strike the handle of the screwdriver. You will need another screwdriver handle under the driver side primary booster. This method will drive the pump through the pump well along with removing the old pump well cover.
l)remove the metering rod step-up lever/pin from the front center of the base,
k)use the scribe to remove the two old o-rings from the bowl.

Check the choke pull-off that it holds vacuum and does not leak.
Clean everything well and reverse all above.

+++When assembly has begun, place the lower bowl gasket on the bowl gasket surface, then re-seal around the old epoxy; I prefer to use Seal-All here. Also the rear upper corners of the bowl can warp and will actually sag downward.

Set your float lever to 29/32" with the top bowl gasket in place and the top inverted. Hope this helps, David.

Here is some motivation for you. Or you could just show it to your non-believer buds that say TQ dont work. This is my Fathers 528 hemi. You dont see duel thermoquads on a tunnel ram very often8) Good luck with the carb

thermoquadlinkage004.jpg

hey thanks for the motivation:toothy10:

im using this carb on a stock 1980 cordoba 360 were do i post some pics?:read2:

VIEWED FROM THE FRONT OF THE TQ THE TWO BOTTOM SCREWS QICH ONE IS GAS AND WICH ONE IS AIR ??

I NEED TO KNOW NOW !! :cry:

They both are, one adjusts the left side of the carb, the other adjusts the right.
They adjust the idle mixture only.

Be sure the idle is under 900 RPMS, or they will not adjust correctly.

Adjust for smoothest idle without a vacuum guage, or highest vacuum reading with a vacuum guage.

Mark.

They both are, one adjusts the left side of the carb, the other adjusts the right.
They adjust the idle mixture only.

Be sure the idle is under 900 RPMS, or they will not adjust correctly.

Adjust for smoothest idle without a vacuum guage, or highest vacuum reading with a vacuum guage.

Mark.

thanks its done now it runs smooth :toothy10:

72SWGNR...................
Your dad needs a warning sign fot that thing.

"Remove all loose objects before start-up!"

How far in does the hood bow at full throttle? I can just imagine how it sounds.

72SWGNR...................
Your dad needs a warning sign fot that thing.

"Remove all loose objects before start-up!"

How far in does the hood bow at full throttle? I can just imagine how it sounds.

I dont recall the specs on those carbs but he has modded them to flow 900+cfm each

Here is a pic of the homeade air cleaner/ram air setup

ramair.jpg

I know this is an old thread but I run thermoquads and I stumbled across this and had to give it a bump.....Just love the look of those awesome dual thermoquads on a tunnel ram....Yeah, you don't see that too often....Anybody that runs a properly tuned thremoquad knows the sound they have when the secondaries open up..."music to my ears" ...I can just imagine what this sounds like when two of them open up.....AWESOME!

Here is some motivation for you. Or you could just show it to your non-believer buds that say TQ dont work. This is my Fathers 528 hemi. You dont see duel thermoquads on a tunnel ram very often8) Good luck with the carb

thermoquadlinkage004.jpg

-
Back