Thermoquad hesitation

-

Austinsguns

Reaction score
71 Duster 727 auto 340 with the original TQ. When driving: Slowly accelerating from a stop, just off of idle giving light throttle it sputters and then catches up after a second or two. After that it runs fine through all other rpms. A pain to drive as it does it warm or cold. I personally think it sounds like a rich condition.

Anyone want to point me in the right direction before I tear my TQ down.

The first thing I would check is the accelerator pump to see if its squirting properly.

When actuating the throttle with the pedal, should it immediately squirt gas in?

Update:

When I move the throttle, the accelerator pump squirts gas into each primary just fine.

At what point in throttle should they squirt the gas? It does it at the very beginning of throttle movement.

It should be instant, as in right now. If you get slight movement and then see gas that could be part of your issue.

Not sure how hot the 340 is but also make sure you have enough initial timing. 10 for stock and up to 20 for a modified 340

Accelerator pump squirts instantly. I will have to look into the timing. Is there any way the idle mixture settings would affect this?

check for a bad dist vacuum advance it might have a hole in it

-
Back