Thermoquad on Air Gap

-

Kenflo

Reaction score
Doing an engine build up and have a edelbrock rpm air gap intake. I have a thermoquad fresh rebuilt and the square bore to thermoquad adapter which is about 1" thick. Does any one know if I will have hood clearance issues? I plan on using a mopar performance unsilenced air cleaner. The build is a 340 engine in a 73 scamp.

This is a tough question. Some people it seemed like can throw a top fuel blower under a stock hood and be fine. Others change the carb and it doesn't work. I'm not much help since I don't know how a TQ compared to a Holley or edelbrock but I do know if I used an one inch spacer with either of those carbs on my swinger it would hit. I would just throw it on there and see if it fits. If not then go back...it shouldn't take more then a few minutes.

With the right air cleaner, and possibly no hood insulation, it will fit. They make air cleaners with a "drop" base. You may also need to get a thinner element, say 2" instead of the 3" that normally come with the aftermarket stuff. Not sure if the Mopar one is going to work.

I'm planning on doing the same thing when I get to that point. Let me know how it turns out....

17026349688_436a3cf133_z.jpg

I will post the out come when it's all together, I'm going to go for it regardless, engine is being built and will also be doing the break in on the dyno with the thermoquad so when I get it home I hope it fits under the hood!

Doing an engine build up and have a edelbrock rpm air gap intake. I have a thermoquad fresh rebuilt and the square bore to thermoquad adapter which is about 1" thick. Does any one know if I will have hood clearance issues? I plan on using a mopar performance unsilenced air cleaner. The build is a 340 engine in a 73 scamp.
I'm using a holley with 1/2 spacer on an air gap and it is close , very close with stock 1970 340 air cleaner With 1" spacer not sure it would fit . Best do some measuring or mock ups with soft materials . It will be close

I ran a thermoquad on my Performer RPM manifold with the 1" adaptor but I opened up the hood and installed the dual snorkle scoop. Doing this will give you more air cleaner options. I ran a 10 x 3 K&N extreme filter but with alittle more opening you could go 11" diameter. You'll also have to raise your throttle linkage brackets to compensate for the RPM manifold and adaptor added height. Here's an engine pic of mine.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=3610

I highly doubt it'll clear with the Mopar perf air cleaner cause the Mopar perf air cleaners set up pretty high. I have an air gap on my 68 Cuda and have a 1" spacer under the Holley and had to use the lowest drop base air cleaner I could find to get it to clear. With the lowest drop base I could find it clears by about 1/4-3/8 inch

I have an air gap with a 4150 Holley on top of a 1" spacer and had to get a 2" air cleaner because the stock 60's Mopar unit would not clear. This on a 360 block in a 71 Duster.

Keep us posted and take some pictures then if you can my dad wanted to do this same exact setup years ago but never did 340, Air gap, unsilenced air cleaner.

Is there enough meat on your air gap to mill out the secondaries, so an adapter isn't needed. Does the air gap accept the tq bolt pattern? Just a thought

Is there enough meat on your air gap to mill out the secondaries, so an adapter isn't needed. Does the air gap accept the tq bolt pattern? Just a thought

No there's not enough 'meat' there, they are not like the LD340. It might be worth getting the top of the manifold welded to create enough room to do the job, with the added bonus of not having to use the 1" adaptor, and another bonus of the adaptor not being a restriction either.

-
Back