Thermoquad Wanted

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
My 318 4bbl cop car made it's best power and mileage with the tq.

But for me the drawback is parts.

So now Im using a disposable edelcrap thunder series..

The biggest problem with a Thermoquad is the dimwit trying to tune it. They work great if ya know what yer doin. Also they do work much better if they are a pre 75 carb with ported vacuum and the better idle mixture screws.
They are not junk as stated by the "what the hell is a 1966 needle and whats this flappy thing do" crowd.

I'm on the Thermoquad is good side. All carbs a junk if you don't know how to tune them. Otherwise, why do you think there are so many options out there for Carbs and Carb builders? On the other hand, if I were building a car for dependability, I would put injection on it.

I simply learned and experimneted with the carb until I understood what everything did, so that I could adjust it correctly. Same as with Holley(powervalve problems,yada,yada)

Oh yeah, once you get the settings right, and don't go and change a bunch of stuff, the carb stays in tune for a long time.

When I saw Adam had posted I had to look and see if there was a car wreck.
Doesn’t seem so.
Just a close call.
Let’s face it, carburetors are a black art to most people.:-k
(Not us experts though):toothy7:
How many cars have you gone to look at and someone has tried to fix the engine problem by putting a rebuilt Auto Zone Carter BBD on it?
The one they took off was not very good when it was new in 1972, the rebuilt one is questionable and that is not what is wrong to begin with.

The advice may have been unsolicited, but as I read it, 62V200’s only point in his ORIGNAL post spoke to the material from which the object in question is constructed.
A point perhaps better made by dartcustom.
62V200 may actually know and understand a little something about both Thermoquads AND people.
Wish I were as wise.
If one desires this particular carburetor for its positive attributes or originality, so be it.
They remain Drastic Plastic. (With apologies to Be Bop Deluxe)

When I saw Adam had posted I had to look and see if there was a car wreck.
Doesn’t seem so.
Just a close call.
Let’s face it, carburetors are a black art to most people.:-k
(Not us experts though):toothy7:
How many cars have you gone to look at and someone has tried to fix the engine problem by putting a rebuilt Auto Zone Carter BBD on it?
The one they took off was not very good when it was new in 1972, the rebuilt one is questionable and that is not what is wrong to begin with.

The advice may have been unsolicited, but as I read it, 62V200’s only point in his ORIGNAL post spoke to the material from which the object in question is constructed.
A point perhaps better made by dartcustom.
62V200 may actually know and understand a little something about both Thermoquads AND people.
Wish I were as wise.
If one desires this particular carburetor for its positive attributes or originality, so be it.
They remain Drastic Plastic. (With apologies to Be Bop Deluxe)

Totaly agreed about the black art thing, any carb takes time to tune even the "bolt on and go" edelbrocks'. It all really depends on alot of things you are consitering. Personally I like the thermoquad but it like all carbs has its place, kind of like what GLOW WORM said. I would not want to depend on this type of carb for a daily driver or a race engine, but if it were on a weekend fun car they are a nice carb, and with what pagilman said about the sound (thats the main reason I have 5 or 6 of them lying around) like stated before parts can be a pain. The last time I checked just getting a new body and a float, was as much as a new holly or edelbrock. Thats not comsittering the rebuild kit or paying the labor if you can't do it yourself.

Mr J, Hope you find a nice thermo, should be able to find one reasonable. A thermoquad is one mean sounding carb!!!!!!!:thumblef:

I do as well love the distinkt sound of a thermoquad

In my opinion the thermoquad is a double edge sword all its good points and bad points all lay with the Phenolic body it is good at blocking heat transfer but it isn't really that good at longevity I currently have 5 or 6 of them and every one iv ever pulled apart the body just falls into pieces. And I also agree, that if they are tuned right they kick ***. The only person I know that could tune them was my father. I never got that special knack at doing it right hence the reason mine are all sitting on the shelf.

Sounds like "sound" advice from someone who has fallen on his sword a time or two like the rest of us. . . . My Dad could tune them too, but after a while you begin to think "What's the point?":dontknow:
Like someone has in their Tag Line: "If Mopars were easy, everyone would have one."

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back