ThermoQuad with stuck float from sitting

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
Just wondering: If you fired up one of your Mopars that has been sitting for awhile, and that is equipped with a ThermoQuad, and found that the float had stuck due to evaporation of the lousy gas we have these days and that the carb bowl is overflowing from the underside of the air horn. Would you: (1) pull the carb to work on it, (2) pull off the air horn to work on it in the car, or (3) try squirting some carb cleaner into it before you pull it?

Is there an easy way to pull the air horn to inspect the floats, seat and needle? Sure would appreciate it if you'd lay that on me.

Any special places to try squirting carb cleaner before pulling the air horn, or should I forget about trying to clean the float, needle and seat with carb cleaner?

Thanks very much, and I'm sorry for asking such dumb questions. I just need to build my confidence about working on TQs.

Just wondering: If you fired up one of your Mopars that has been sitting for awhile, and that is equipped with a ThermoQuad, and found that the float had stuck due to evaporation of the lousy gas we have these days and that the carb bowl is overflowing from the underside of the air horn. Would you: (1) pull the carb to work on it, (2) pull off the air horn to work on it in the car, or (3) try squirting some carb cleaner into it before you pull it?

Is there an easy way to pull the air horn to inspect the floats, seat and needle? Sure would appreciate it if you'd lay that on me.

Any special places to try squirting carb cleaner before pulling the air horn, or should I forget about trying to clean the float, needle and seat with carb cleaner?

Thanks very much, and I'm sorry for asking such dumb questions. I just need to build my confidence about working on TQs.

ThermoQuads are not to be feared. You can take the top off on the car, but WHY? You risk dropping something into the intake and you cannot properly inspect it on the car. Get it off the car! Two hot spots for flooding TQs are sunken nitocelulose floats and loose or leaking primary well cups.

There are plenty of How To's for TQs on this site if you search. Kits for TQs are still readily available but you should follow the rebuild instuctions carefully or have a knowledgeable friend assist. Just like any other carb. they do have their unique quirks. There are repop brass floats available which will cure the plastic float problem also. Spraying snake oil into a carb. is a waste of time and money if you want it to run reliably from here on out. Also letting a lot of raw gas run into the engine, while you troubleshoot, is BAD and could also result in a dangerous backfire...

Thanks, 340demon72! You're right; I'd better pull it and check to see if I have the plastic float and set the float height at the same time that I clean the inlet needle and seat. Appreciate it!

-
Back