Thermostat housing different sizes...

-

Moparbaker

Reaction score
While ordering I've noticed that 170 & small block engines have the same thermostat housing as does the 225 & big block, so ofcourse I wonder what the difference is; is it the space between the bolt holes or the diameter of those holes or both?
Hope someone have some laying around & can check & tell...

The 'standard' slant six (all engines) thermostat housing is the same for all slants. It is angled for the hose to install basically straight up, or 90* from the outlet hole in the head. Other outlets fit if you need to use different radiators and/or hoses. Stant 84837

WaterOutlet3.jpg

Not quite.
All v8s til 78 took a larger one, all /6s and 79+ v8s took a smaller one.

So what does this mean then?:

View attachment 1716068628
& what's the difference???
170/SB/383(&400) VS 225 would be the height of the outlets in relation to the rad tanks, but with Slantys, the straight-up should simply be a vertical hose dimension change. Where are the "straight" outlets in the listings?
P.S. there are A/C & non-A/C specific housings for some applications.

Last edited:
That's ok, I have plenty of them to go around. Don't need any. Except maybe 1. A better -than- pop can metal- housing, for the 360 mag in my Durango

I needed straight out on the race car, or a 90 degree forward.
I ended up using the pop can and opened the bolt holes just a drill size.
I could not find a better fit, although.

I have been told 65ish Cadillac used one that would fit.
I could never find a spec to compare.

Ah, so does anyone have an original 170 + a 225 to compare with?
Or a sb + a bb to compare?
This sure keeps me curious...

So what does this mean then?:
It means whoever put that cattledog together got it wrong. There were two (and only two) kinds of Slant-6 thermostat housings for all 170, 198, and 225 Slant-6s built throughout the world. Almost all of them used the kind shown on the right in that cattledog page cut (and in Badvert65's photo), except '60 cars with power steering had a very similar housing but with extended bolt bosses for the support bracket for the alternator (Valiant) or the P/S pump (big cars):

2121908.jpg

Zero V8 engines used either of the Slant-6 thermostat housings.

P.S.: I'm changing my vote; whoever put together that Four Seasons cattledog was sniffing glue and hallucinating 383 and 440 cubic inch L6 motors.

-
Back