Thermostat Housing Won't Stop Leaking

-
So I went ahead and bought the Mopar chrome housing from Jegs. You guys convinced me the one I have looks too "used." So should I scuff the bottom of the new housing and just use the FelPro gasket I have or also use RTV?

So I went ahead and bought the Mopar chrome housing from Jegs. You guys convinced me the one I have looks too "used." So should I scuff the bottom of the new housing and just use the FelPro gasket I have or also use RTV?
Don't know. Those "Mopar" cast housings are junk too.

Well that's disappointing to hear. I guess if it leaks at least I have gotten good at preventing a big coolant mess since I have taken this damn thing apart so many times.
The problem is that they are all cast out of inexpensive "pot metal". It is too soft, and often porous. That's why they leak. I fought this problem for years. The only true solution in today's world (of junky Chinese parts) is a billet housing with an o-ring for sealing (as mentioned 2X above).

Well it's only money, so I ordered one of the Billet Specialties thermostat housings with O-ring. Majority opinion seems to think the O-ring style is the best way to go, so maybe I will give that a try and see what happens.

-
Back