Thermostat Question

-
To obtain an accurate measure. Place the thermostat in a pot of water with a high temp thermometer. Slowly raise the heat untill you see the thermostat open. Then you have the temperature for your thermostat. Do not use a pot you cook in. Better safe than dead

BW

Put it on the stove in a pan of water with a meat thermometer and you will know soon enough. Betcha it's either 160 or 180 since big blocks never had fuel infection.

I already tried the pot of boiling water trick to make sure it opens but I didn't have a thermometer handy. I got the part number off the thermostat itself not from a parts book btw. If anyone can tell me what temp it is from the part number that would certainly help as I don't have a meat thermometer or the like, I cook all my roasts without one and they turn out fine. lol.

LOL
Thats good because I forgot to tell you you can't let the thermometer touch the bottom of the pot.

BW

If you still got the thermostat in your hand look at the bottom of the copper colored bulb in the center and you should see a number like 180 stamped into it. that's the opening temperature, but like the other guys say I always verify that temp. by putting the thermo in water on the stove with a thermometer just to make sure.

Terry

-
Back