Thinkin about selling all my small block stuff and going big block

-

duster360

Reaction score
I am just throwing this out there to see if there might be any interest if I go through with this. I have a fresh 340 with a minor intake sealing issue. Since I have it on the stand I am considering going big block for more power instead of spending more time with this engine. Has not even been out of the garage. The 340 has a .030" overbore, factory steel crank turned .010' under on mains and rods. lunati voodoo 268 cam, SRP pistons, total seal rings and rotating assembly has been balanced. Heads are 65cc with Ferrea stainless valves, bronze guides, lunati springs matched to cam, Lunati 10* locks and retainers and have been gasket matched on the intake side. Hughes engine aluminum rocker arms and shafts with the heavy duty hughes retainers and studs. Also a set of Smith brothers pushrods. Intake is an Edelbrock airgap. What would this engine be worth as is or should I just part it out.

Why is the intake not sealing.

Lots of times the std .060 thick gaskets are not thick enough, you can put gaskets on 10 times and still have the same issue. Measure for how thick the gasket needs to be. May solve the issue.

Big block more power..hmmm. quite a few big blocks at the track my small block kicks the snot out of..keep the 340 its so much rewarding knowing the guy you just beat is running a so-called more powerful big block:D:D

Why is the intake not sealing.

Lots of times the std .060 thick gaskets are not thick enough, you can put gaskets on 10 times and still have the same issue. Measure for how thick the gasket needs to be. May solve the issue.

Needs thinner gaskets. The machine shop milled ( not just surfaced ) the heads and did not tell me. I had to find out the hard way. The .047" gaskets I put on it are too thick. Pulls oil like crazy from the lifter valley. The chamber depth on the heads is around .693" which is way under factory.

Needs thinner gaskets. The machine shop milled ( not just surfaced ) the heads and did not tell me. I had to find out the hard way. The .047" gaskets I put on it are too thick. Pulls oil like crazy from the lifter valley. The chamber depth on the heads is around .693" which is way under factory.

mill the intake

Sounds like your small block was built for mostly street use.
Race engines on the street can take the usability out of a car for some and they can end up sitting in the garage rather than out enjoying it.
I personally would try what you have now without spending more. It may be enough to keep you happy. A 340 like yours will move out great in a A body. If not enough then go mild big block.
I have found when trying to build one car for both street and strip you end up with a fast
unfriendly car for the street and a slow race car. Better to build for one or the other unless
you have a blower or some other power adder to boost the output of a tamer engine.
I didn't think this way when I was younger but we had better gas available at the pump then.
I'm sure not everyone will agree with me on this but its my take.

At this point, probably simpler and cheaper to fix/run what you have - go have some fun with it. But once your go big-block.... Ha! :)

-
Back