Thinking about going turbo...

-

69dodgedart360

Reaction score
I have been looking over all of the turbo builds and I have to say it looks like an awesome swap if your trying to go forced induction. I am thinking about doing that with my future build in my 69 Dart. Just a few questions that I have for the people who have done this swap or are in the process of it.

1. I see that a lot of the builds involve some cutting of the inner fenders for either the exhaust pipe or the turbo. Is it possible to do this kind of swap without any inner fender surgery?

2. With a Turbo and all of the exhaust piping in the engine bay, what can you do to not fry your alternator or any other electrical components in the engine bay?

3. What does an intercooler do and is it necessary for a turbo build?

4. I would plan on sticking with a carburetor, what kind of modifications would have to be done or would it be similar to getting a blow-thru carb for a supercharger?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

P.S. I wouldn't want to do anything too extravagant. I have a 360 that puts out 400hp right now and would be looking for something close to 550-600hp. The main reason why I am looking into turbo is because it seems that you could make that goal without having to go the high compression, roller, and less streetable motor route you would have to do with a 600hp Naturally Aspirated SB motor.

I was thinking turbo. But twin F2's are easier and cheaper to plumb. And use your existing headers so you don't lose the rumble.

I totally skipped the turbocharger bible sticky, lots of detailed good information in there. I think i might have to create a account at the turbo forums as well lol.

I have been looking over all of the turbo builds and I have to say it looks like an awesome swap if your trying to go forced induction. I am thinking about doing that with my future build in my 69 Dart. Just a few questions that I have for the people who have done this swap or are in the process of it.

1. I see that a lot of the builds involve some cutting of the inner fenders for either the exhaust pipe or the turbo. Is it possible to do this kind of swap without any inner fender surgery?

Yes, some just take the easy way out. It's all in the effort you put in, and our skill level at fabrication.

2. With a Turbo and all of the exhaust piping in the engine bay, what can you do to not fry your alternator or any other electrical components in the engine bay?
Cut down on the heat in the engine bay by using fiberglass turbo blankets, pipe wrap. Also fiberglass sleeves for spark plugs wires. You can also use heat shield reflective tape to protect wiring. Spacing is a huge thing. Anything touching the turbo system will be gone in no time.

3. What does an intercooler do and is it necessary for a turbo build?
for street use yes, the intercooler does the work of lowering the intake charge temp. Anytime your compressing air it generate heats. Plus with the heated transfer from the turbo and engine bay. The turbo can get up to temps of 1200* and the intake charge some times up to 300*. The intercooler is to help be that down below half of that.

4. I would plan on sticking with a carburetor, what kind of modifications would have to be done or would it be similar to getting a blow-thru carb for a supercharger?

Yes blow through carb and boost reference regulator, which means it raise the pressure 1psi for every pound of boost it sees. You'll also need the fuel system to support the power intended.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

P.S. I wouldn't want to do anything too extravagant. I have a 360 that puts out 400hp right now and would be looking for something close to 550-600hp. The main reason why I am looking into turbo is because it seems that you could make that goal without having to go the high compression, roller, and less streetable motor route you would have to do with a 600hp Naturally Aspirated SB motor.
Yes very easy to make those goals. With a 400 hp base you could make those goals with 8 psi.

You need to take the advice and read up. Create that account on the turbo forums. Be mindful they don't like nooby questions, so get familiar with the search function. They have been asked the same questions a hundred times over. There is no other better site for idea, info, innovation and new products hitting the scene.

Be prepared for a long down time if you plan to build yourself. Custom means everything doesn't really work together and your finding ways or modifying it to work together. But the end result is worth it if you make it through the end. I would love to turbo all my cars the rest of my life. Hearing the turbo spool is a rush to hear every time and never gets old. It felt like giving up a few times but I made it out and couldn't be happier. Like any other project it is still evolving every day.

-
Back