Thinking of a newer hemi swap into my 70 dart

-

1970boy

Reaction score
Hey guys im playing around with the idea of putting a newer hemi into my 70 dart swinger with a 225 /6. I want to get a feel for what it would take to do this and would need some more info on it such as what the total cost would be (ballpark), what i need such as tranny, k member, suspension etc and overall jus what it would take to do the swap. Thanks in advance

I did it in my '70 Duster drag car. You can do it with original suspension and K member, as long as you have manual steering/brakes.
You can use a small block torqueflite, 727 or 904. You'll need a special flex plate in order to match it up to the GenIII hemi. Carbureted would be much cheaper than fuel injection. You also have to use a remote oil filter, but the block is already plumbed for it. Headers and motor mounts are readily available. Battery needs to go in trunk.
As far as cost it depends on what you pay for a motor and tranny.

I put a 5.7 in my 71 duster .No I did not have to use a oil filter relocate kit . I made my own motor mounts .I run the engine with a MSD hemi controller and it has a carb .I used the TTI headers and they are a nice fit .600 holly carb works great .904 trans. with a 5500 stall.Car runs 7.80 in the eight mile .Come get you some .

The first thing you need to ask yourself is what do you want out of it? There are many different paths to take depending on that answer. Do you want all the creature comforts of power steering, AC, fuel injection? A bare bones street stomping beast? or somewhere in between?

The first thing you need to ask yourself is what do you want out of it? There are many different paths to take depending on that answer. Do you want all the creature comforts of power steering, AC, fuel injection? A bare bones street stomping beast? or somewhere in between?
The answer to that would be inbetween i dont need ac but i do want powersteering and as far as fuel injected or not either it doesnt matter ill go either way on that

-
Back