thinking of going auto................

-

cudaboy 67

Reaction score
hey all, been to the mopar nationals here today in england uk, great day! :cheers: anyhow been talking to few racers, seems no one uses manuals for racing< sorry if sounds obveous:angry7: i didnt know> im never {never say never}:bootysha: going to drag race my 440ci barracuda its just a street car larking around etc however they sayin you never get good launches with 4 speed and to be honest its never ever been right,fumbling for the gears ... did have inland shifter,since changed to hurst,has improved things was "z" bar then hydralic now cable clutch, it could need a gearbox rebuild as changes are still not too good and im always worrying on the clutch giving up> is mc leod.somtimes wonder if throwing in towell and going auto:clock: my box is bit rare,an a body a833 with long tailshaft<compared to otheres,pal said a custom build and its 18 spline. they all gone auto as its less to worry about and makes driving these cars more fun however i got 2 arms,2 legs and feel they are there to change gears lol i feel i would be maybe giving somthing up by going auto i know if could get my box right would keep but its always somthing, is auto the things dreams are made of? will it give pleasure back into driving???:toothy10:

JMO, If you're not doing serious drag racing. Keep the stick.

My Abody is auto and my newer truck is stick. Guess which one is more fun on the street?

If you're gonna swap to anything, why not go for a better manual transmission? That big block would be fun mated to a 6spd.(just sayin)

If you're using it for street I would keep the four-speed. I've had both auto and four-speed A-Body street cars and I prefer the four speed. Four-speeds and musclecars go togeter like bangers and mash! :happy7:

:read2:i do agree, kinda a man thing :glasses9:and they rare here, everyone i know autos if i can gettit shifting right its a keeper! guess new syncros be a good start........

Dont do it. Sticks are too cool! I have raced a stick car in the past. An A-833 is strong and can handle a lot. The clutch is where the money is. McCleod makes a great street strip clutch.

automatics are more consistent.

But 4spd's are way more fun and practical for around town & road race type stuff where you have more gears =and usable torque range from them.

I ran mine at the strip, 1st run was the best, though I increased speed later..the et went south due to a mis calculation in jetting...too fat.

really...people were asking if it was an auto cause I can shift it real fast....just gotta get the launch consistent, in otherwords it takes more driver skill to row the gears.

Dont do it. Sticks are too cool! I have raced a stick car in the past. An A-833 is strong and can handle a lot. The clutch is where the money is. McCleod makes a great street strip clutch.
i fitted a brand new flywheel and mc lead clutch when i did the conversion to 440ci, id rather the manual but its gotta work! any suggestions who to go for regarding the internals, syncro etc?all thegears seem ok, ie itll drive in all just first second crap, somtimes go first third!!! another reason i want to keep manual is the 18 spline box,SUPER rare here in uk

Passon has a really good trans set up, crashbox. I know there are a couple other race cars here that run sticks very successfully. 68HemiGTS is one of them. You might want to do a search. From my experience the shifter needs to work flawlessly and be adjusted perfect. Secondly when getting a consistent launch a 2 step is imperitive. I leave with the throttle floored against the 2 step. You can then adjust the 2 step RPM to tailor your launch to the desired effect. I found that a little tire spin was the way to the quickest 60 foot when we had the 575hp motor in it. Then we went to a 990hp motor and change the clutch to a McCleod cintered iron adjustable clutch (definitely tought to drive on the street) and adjusted it a little tight and then worked our way back. We finally got it perfected to a point where it would carry the wheels well and the clutch did the slipping to soften the blow to the motor when the clutch was dropped. We also had the 2 step set about 600 RPM below shift RPM. By the way this car was a chevy so no pics here. Muscle Mustang IIRC did a great stick race car article where they took a stock 5.0 Mustang and went from 15 flat stock to 13 flat by only changing chassis parts and clutch setup. There is no better feeling than laying into the throttle on the 2 step and dropping that clutch! Hang on!!!

-
Back