This Cast Flaw Common?

-

Daves69

Reaction score
I have a raised (Top picture 0.035") area on a small block 915 head adjacent to the center bolt hole for the valve cover. Bolt hole is just fine. Nothing appears over the edge or around the sides. I'm thinking this is a raised cast defect due to a void, that was ground on but didn't get repaired properly during production. Looks like the repair was complete to the left of the hole but was stopped short.
Wha-cha-all think??

Attachments

• SBHeads0.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 191
  • SBHeads4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 185
Almost looks like the machine missed drilling the hole for the valve cover bolt and it was repaired later. Even the valve cover bolt hole that's there is not centered in the boss.

....... Even the valve cover bolt hole that's there is not centered in the boss.

Ha, I didn't notice that! Holes off center on the opposite side a bit also in the lower picture now that you mention it. Same direction.

Looked at the other head. Same as the one in the OP as far as the bolt hole locations. No other defect on this one.

Attachments

• SBHeads5.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 141
The bolt holes are in the correct location. The casting has what is known as core shift. If the hole was off, the valve cover gasket and valve cover wouldn't fit.

-
Back