This is a 7.25 isnt it?

-

DartorDemon

Banned
Reaction score
I was planning to hit the junkyard today for a set of gears, but i thought i should ID my axle just to be sure.

Off of the ring and pinion website:

7.25:
http://www.ringpinion.com/DiffDetai...rtCats.aspx?SearchMode=Diff&TypeID=2&DiffID=5

sorry, cant link the picture.

and my axle:
DSCN0288.jpg

That cover looks nothing like the 8.25 cover. It has markings that say 74 dart, so i'm guessing this is a 74 dart 6cyl axle?

8.25 cover:
http://www.ringpinion.com/DiffDetai...rtCats.aspx?SearchMode=Diff&TypeID=2&DiffID=7

If i'm right it really begs the question....who the hell puts a 6cyl axle behind a 360?

also, would 74 still be BBP, or is it SBP because its a 6cyl axel?

3 bolts straight across the bottom says 7 1/4?

The shape is what is telling me its a 7.25. The 8.25 has an oval pumpkin, despite it being a so-so picture, you can see on the left side that the pumpkin makes a sharp \ curve.

Plus i believe i read somewhere that the 8.25 has a rubber plug, and mine clearly has a threaded metal plug.

As far as I know, the axle tubes for a 1974 7.25 would be 2.5". Axle tubes for the 8.25 would be 3.0". Just another thing to check without yanking the cover.

I count 9 bolts so that makes it a 7 1/4 pretty easy to narrow down if yours ISNT missing bolts out of the cover. But also the slant up on the bottom part says 7 1/4 it is infact an 7 1/4

I count 9 bolts so that makes it a 7 1/4 pretty easy to narrow down if yours ISNT missing bolts out of the cover. But also the slant up on the bottom part says 7 1/4 it is infact an 7 1/4

yep thats it. I ran my finger around the pumpkin(in case it was missing bolts), its a 7.25.

damn former owners :angry7:. I'd love to know how this car lost its 8.25(original 318 car)

On the bright side, i didnt run out to get a ring/pinion/LSD that i cant use.

318 cars could also come with 7 1/4s I have two 318 cars with 7 1/4s.

Chuck

ah, well i guess it could have had a 7.25, but i'm fairly confident that the current 7.25 is not the original

DSCN0287.jpg

Its a little marred , but it looks like 74 Dart was written on the axle tube.

-
Back