This is why you dont let *** hats work on your project

-
The wheel base is correct for a short bed. 116". The bed was cut wrong. To make a long bed into a short bed you must section it in TWO places, you cant just cut it all out of one side.....

So yeah, I'm cutting the frame off under the cab, building a new notched frame, new 4 link, re doing all the brackets and air ride on the axle then gonna section 14" out of the running boards... all to save the "patina" that I'm dam sure is fake.....

Ah yes. Save a nickle spend A LOT...
:rofl:

IMO, you need to have a re assessment conversation with the owner and a new deal or bail on it completely.
It's not your responsibility to F down someone elses F'ed up stuff unless you are getting paid well for it.
Hell, I'd charge the owner for the time spent on it already.
Even just your professional opinion is worth money, and I charge for that all the time.
It's called consultation.

I'm gonna bolt on a fender and roll it outside where I can get a real look at it.

I already got the go ahead to build a new back half but I want to make Dam sure I'm not building a clown car.

If it doesn't look cool I'm not putting my name on it.

Yeah, tell me about it.... Here is an abortion that a seasoned bodyman did and he was proud of it. That afternoon the car was back in the owners garage....

JW

IMG_20190408_160822801.jpg

I'm gonna bolt on a fender and roll it outside where I can get a real look at it.

I already got the go ahead to build a new back half but I want to make Dam sure I'm not building a clown car.

If it doesn't look cool I'm not putting my name on it.
Can Mar-K manufacturing help. They make some damned nice stuff. Mar-K Manufacturing

I already called them. They have bed sides in stock.

The patina is important to the customer and my paint skills ain't quite there yet, although pops says we can paint match it....

The patina is important to the customer and my paint skills ain't quite there yet, although pops says we can paint match it....

I thought patina was code for "I can't paint anyway"

:poke:

Myself, i would find a mid 70s Ramcharger frame & drive train and put body & bed on it.
Looks to me to be about that size .

For some reason my photo bucket hasn't been working but here is some progress on the 52, GMC bed.

Sectioned the bed, moved it back and patching the old wheel cut out.
imagejpeg_1_zpseydb5bab.jpg

imagejpeg_0_zpsb0sbsrmp.jpg

-
Back