This Mornings Bear in the woods

-

"Dart67"

Reaction score
After moving from central Illinois to the Ouachita mountains of West central Arkansas almost seven years here, look what showed up on the game camera this morning.

The camera is about 250 - 300 feet straight out from the front door.

The time on the photo is 1 hour off.

It was 10:38 am

View attachment Bear.jpg

My wife had been walking our black pug through the woods in the same area less then an hour earlier.

She said the pug all of a sudden stopped and sniffed around and then came right back to the house.

Herb

That is cool, a guy I work with showed me a picture earlier this spring off his game camera.
There was a bear standing on it hind legs, the picture he had was real clear, it was over 9' tall.

[quote="Dart67";1970880498]After moving from central Illinois to the Ouachita mountains of West central Arkansas almost seven years here, look what showed up on the game camera this morning.

The camera is about 250 - 300 feet straight out from the front door.

The time on the photo is 1 hour off.

It was 10:38 am

View attachment 1714823295

My wife had been walking our black pug through the woods in the same area less then an hour earlier.

She said the pug all of a sudden stopped and sniffed around and then came right back to the house.

Herb[/quote]

Yeah, we certainly don't have that up here in Central IL, unless you want to talk about the two bears that used to be kept in cages in Fairview Park here in Decatur about 50 years ago, or so. Although, we did see a wolf (or wolf-hybrid) loose up around Forsyth a couple years ago. And there have always been stories about black panthers around here for decades. Not sure what I would do if I went to take the trash out and saw a black bear pawing at the can. Probably have to go back inside and wipe.

Yeah, we certainly don't have that up here in Central IL, unless you want to talk about the two bears that used to be kept in cages in Fairview Park here in Decatur about 50 years ago, or so. Although, we did see a wolf (or wolf-hybrid) loose up around Forsyth a couple years ago. And there have always been stories about black panthers around here for decades. Not sure what I would do if I went to take the trash out and saw a black bear pawing at the can. Probably have to go back inside and wipe.

Maybe not, but several years ago a mountain lion was shot in the city of Chicago. The city itself! Mountain lions have made it over the Mississippi River somehow and have a good foothold in Illinois and also Wisconsin. You never know.

http://neveryetmelted.com/2008/04/16/mountain-lion-shot-in-chicagos-north-side/
Now WI.
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/cougar.html

Do you ever got to Birkbeck in August for Jim Falbes MOPAR Reunion ?

This one made the local news yesterday, swimming across Folsom Lake.
(Northern California)

Attachments

• bear in folsom lake.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 211
Herb, was it a Kodak that took the Kodiak picture? Whish I was there today to see it. More people are killed by black bears than any other bear in the U.S.. I guess they think the little ones are cute, and forget about mama Bear!

Anyone else hear what I have always been told about bears? Black bears are actually more damaging than Grizzlies. A grizzly bear usually does not attack with the intent to eat you. It is usually protecting its territory. A black bear that attacks is likely going to eat you. I know, I do not ever want to test the theory, but it seems logical to fear the bigger bear. But in actuality???

Anyone else hear what I have always been told about bears? Black bears are actually more damaging than Grizzlies. A grizzly bear usually does not attack with the intent to eat you. It is usually protecting its territory. A black bear that attacks is likely going to eat you. I know, I do not ever want to test the theory, but it seems logical to fear the bigger bear. But in actuality???

I think the numbers behind black bear attacks is the fact that humans are around them much much more. Grizzlies don't populate the US like black bears so you don't have as make attacks. If you had grizzlies living all over like black bears and coming into contact with humans as much I would be willing to bet the numbers would change big time.

I have come across black bears in the wild and it is very scary but if I see a grizzly I will probably need to change underpants.

The Bear will more than likely be back and living in a rural area with Bears and who knows what else wandering around it would probably be prudent to be packing a high caliber sidearm when out wandering around.

[quote="Dart67";1970880667]Do you ever got to Birkbeck in August for Jim Falbes MOPAR Reunion ?[/quote]

We were up there a couple of years ago. I tell you, I'm surprised I didn't get any drool on anyone's cars up there. They were all gorgeous! Somewhere I've still got some pictures I took that day. I hope to make it back again this year. It was a lot of fun!

Interesting thing about living in Upstate NY is the black bears.

Had a dog when I was in my early 20's who was a little bad ***. He was a mutt, like most of my dogs. Never backed down from anything, including other dogs twice his size. The other males in the house steered cleared of him, knowing he was alpha.

Was out playing with him in the backyard one day, heard something coming through the brush headed to the pond. Then a big splash. Dog took off to investigate. Suddenly that dog came out of the brush like the Millennium Falcon shooting out of the Death Star, tail between his legs, and didn't stop until he got in his house. And he wouldn't come out. Pretty soon, the black bear got out of the pond and walked across the field across the road.

-
Back