Those expecting parts from me...

-
Hmm....I had one when I lived in Fluriduh.
I could be wrong. Probably a city requirement. When city meters have a back flow preventer they are nessasary in case the t&p valve fails.On a well you wouldnt need one. All the trailers i,ve serviced were on wells. I usually only do homes.They havent started requiring them in the houston area yet.

Disconnect and ohm the element.

They are usually OK, or open, although I have seen them out of spec, but rarely.

It is usually The bottom one, as stated.

After checking both, reconnect it and turn up the bottom about 7 degrees, then turn up the top one 12*. Notice how the pots feel, if they feel bad, they might be.

Verify 240 at the bottom element, then get yourself a beer, sit down in front of the unit, and wait for the click, as the thermostat switches to the top one, then verify 240 there.

That's pretty much it.

If it is the bottom element, get a 16 oz cup, and a bath towel (folded and bunched below the element), and you should be able to change it without losing a full 16 oz of water.

In my experience, you are actually more likely to ruin the drain valve (and thus the whole thing) trying to drain an old unit, than messing up anything else.

(put the rubber seal on the new element before loosening the bolts, or element, if it's screw in, and have everything oriented and ready to bolt back so you save those few seconds)

If the pipes are in good shape, and you don't open any faucets open, you should have enough vacuum to create a relative hydro-lock to help prevent loosing water.

For as simple as they are, water heaters are awfully intimidating for a lot of people.
Even professional building maintenance folks, for some reason.

Rob, pretend it is a carburetor that you have never worked on before and just dive in as you follow directions. As stated above electric water heaters are really quite simple.

Water pressure at the well tank is good but coming out of the faucets in the house it's dropping. Also, it takes a LONG time for the water to get hot at the faucet now which makes me think the bottom element is bad. We have REAL hard water out here and the tank is 11 years old. Everything I have read suggests it's toast.

I understand about being able to clean it out. My worry is that I will get it apart and find that it is beyond repair and be stuck completely without water. So I am kinda just letting it ride.

I got enough left to put a new one on the Wal Mart card......right along with the new washer I just ordered......but sumbitch, I hate to keep jackin that card up. The payment just gets higher and higher. A card is fixin to slip out before long.

That happened to mine the other day. turns out a pipe under the heater had broke

-
Back