Those running Trickflow 190s with a hyd roller

-

Whatsup1962

Reaction score
Have a couple of questions for guys running Trickflows with a hydraulic roller cam. I am in process of putting together my La408 and am getting to the rocker arm geometry and pushrod length. Running Hughes engine hyd roller lifters, Trickflow heads with Harland Sharpe 1.6 shaft rockers (the ones Trickflow recommends) and am doing oiling through the pushrods. Looking for those that might have a very similar setup if not the exact same setup. Two questions I have.
1) Did you have to open up the pushrod tunnel on the heads to prevent rubbing?
2) Yes I am going to go through the pushrod length finding process....but a starting point will narrow down my time considerably - those running a similar combo , or the same combo, what pushrod length are you running?
Thanks in advance for the help.

I am not running a hydraulic roller but I'm certain you will be safe with a 5/16" pushrod. Always check and double check. I'm not sure how you expect to narrow down your time by starting with someone else's pushrod lengths. Ya still need to go through the process to see for yourself. Not trying to sound like a dick just not quite understanding the logic there.

I am not running a hydraulic roller but I'm certain you will be safe with a 5/16" pushrod. Always check and double check. I'm not sure how you expect to narrow down your time by starting with someone else's pushrod lengths. Ya still need to go through the process to see for yourself. Not trying to sound like a dick just not quite understanding the logic there.
Because the tooling I'm using has like 6 different lengths to use. Also a certain length someone else has could be a starting point and if the setup is the same and mine are WAY off... something is probably wrong.

Yes, you will have to open up the pushrod tunnels.

The only correct way to measure pushrod length is just that, measure it. You need an adjustable pushrod. You can make one real easy or buy one.

Set the adjuster at 9/32 inch protrusion from the bottom of the rocker. That should be no more than 1 thread showing. Adjust the adjustable pushrod so there is zero lash. Measure it for over all length and add .050-.100 for lifter preload.

Yes, you will have to open up the pushrod tunnels.

The only correct way to measure pushrod length is just that, measure it. You need an adjustable pushrod. You can make one real easy or buy one.

Set the adjuster at 9/32 inch protrusion from the bottom of the rocker. That should be no more than 1 thread showing. Adjust the adjustable pushrod so there is zero lash. Measure it for over all length and add .050-.100 for lifter preload.
Do I do that with the hydraulic roller lifters Im going to be using?... or something different. First go around with shaft mounted rockers or Mopar. Done plenty of chevys and i would just throw in a solid lifter and go from there.

Do I do that with the hydraulic roller lifters Im going to be using?... or something different. First go around with shaft mounted rockers or Mopar. Done plenty of chevys and i would just throw in a solid lifter and go from there.

Yes, use the lifters you will be running.

Yes, use the lifters you will be running.

Well I think I got it....thanks for the help. By the way the tunnels are plenty large, I think I could run a 3/8" pushrod with no issue either.

20220314_141555.jpg

Well I think I got it....thanks for the help. By the way the tunnels are plenty large, I think I could run a 3/8" pushrod with no issue either.

View attachment 1715888373

I've got 3/8 pushrods on my hydraulic flat-tappets, but rollers tend to be taller. I'm not sure 3/8 rods would clear with a hydraulic roller lifter. Mine are extremely close clearance at full lift and require each rocker to be within .010 of center or I get a very slight rub. I had to re-shim after break-in. I noticed a few aluminum scuffs on my rods when putting my inner springs back in. Nothing since then.

-
Back