Thoughts about my plan for a build - questions and comments

-

4Birdman

Reaction score
OK, so hopefully I'll be able to start this project before too long. I am very new to anything old-school Mopar, so bear with me. I did own a 95 Plymouth Voyager that I swapped in a 3.8L, and also an 88 LeBaron that I put a built 2.5L turbo in, but that's my extent. I'm pretty much a GM guy and am huge into Trans Ams. Just finishing up dropping in a built 6.0L with nitrous into my 98 Trans Am, and have owned a bunch of old 70s TAs too.

Anyway, back to it. I drive a 2003 Subaru WRX as my daily driver. It is a fun car, but I'm really starting to think about getting back into something old. I want to open up a custom car shop in the somewhat near future and the clients I want to go for are more old muscle than new Subaru! I'm thinking about building a new daily driver and then selling my Subaru.

I have been in the planning stages of my business and was about to go look at a 64 Pontiac Catalina when I had a dream about a car. Not just any car, it was my grandmother's old car. I hadn't thought about that car in YEARS so something told me I either needed to find that car or build one like it. So now the search is on.

It was a 75 or 76 Valiant Brougham. My grandfather said it was a 75, but I remember him telling me it was one of the last ones made so that would put it as a 76. Until we find the VIN or some papers on it, can't be sure. It was burgundy color with a burgundy top and a burgundy interior with burgundy wheel covers. The thing was BURGUNDY! My grandfather sold it in 1995 and wishes he never did.

So here is my plan - either find her old car or find another one to make look like hers.

Then I plan on:
Late-model 5.7L Hemi engine with overdrive automatic transmission.
Big 4-wheel disc brakes
Interior basically stock, but probably with aftermarket gauges for ease of the late-model drivetrain swap.
Shoulder belts in the rear for my kids
Lowered a little, possibly RideTech air bag setup.
Some good looking wheels, probably about an 18" or so, maybe with burgundy centers to keep the theme. More than likely something silver though. Not a big fan of chrome wheels.

So do I sound crazy? Not looking for something I'm going to recoup my money back from, I hope to keep it forever.

-
Back