Thoughts on adding dual hood scoops on 1970 Plymouth 340 Duster (original)

-

DaveM

Reaction score
Hello, I have an all original 340 Duster...was thinking about adding the two hood scoops that originally came on the 1970 Dodge Swinger 340? Since this car is all original and the year never came from the factory with them installed, is it a wise move to alter?
I think it would definitely help with its muscle car looks but would it hurt the overall value of the car since the hood would be altered to accommodate the scoops? I believe the holes could always be filled in and the hood repainted? Let me know your opinion/s, thanks in advance.

If and when you sell, how the buyer or prospective buyers regard this depends if they are puriest or hotrod -der types, hopefully in between. You can always do this, pick a spare hood, and have one with the scoops added. That is your best solution, and IF yo paint the car, paint both hoods.
Me, I tend to keep more valuable cars stock or easily changed back to stock, and less $$ type cars I tend to change, to suit my tastes. An original 70 340 Duster is a pretty decent $ car restored. But the change yoy are talking is easily solved with a spare hood right. Yes a good body guy can, weld and fill or fix anything for a $.

If and when you sell, how the buyer or prospective buyers regard this depends if they are puriest or hotrod -der types, hopefully in between. You can always do this, pick a spare hood, and have one with the scoops added. That is your best solution, and IF yo paint the car, paint both hoods.
Me, I tend to keep more valuable cars stock or easily changed back to stock, and less $$ type cars I tend to change, to suit my tastes. An original 70 340 Duster is a pretty decent $ car restored. But the change yoy are talking is easily solved with a spare hood right. Yes a good body guy can, weld and fill or fix anything for a $.
Thanks for the input...exactly inline with my thoughts. A spare hood is tough to find for '70-'72 Will keep looking!

'70 Duster / Valiant hoods that have not been chopped up are not easy to find.

They also look very sexy as is.

So if you just have to have the scoops, please find one that had already been messed up or go fiberglass & chop away at will.

I have 2 70-71 Duster hoods that have the holes drilled in them already... only they are in California!

Don't ask about shipping them. LOL Stupid expensive. Someone headed that way from here could pay and pick up.

-
Back