Thoughts, Opinions Wanted

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
This is an idea that I've been kicking around for years & I'm wondering what everybody here thinks. If I decide to keep my fenderwell headers, I was wondering about an exhaust like this. Hope you'll excuse my crude drawing, but it's my first attempt at drawing something on a computer in almost 20 years.

The drawing is a top side view of a left side exhaust. I'd use U bends but it was easier for me to draw it like it is with squarish corners. The rectangle in the middle is a muffler. I could use a glasspack instead, but this gives the general idea. The exhaust from the header would enter the collector at the front of the muffler (top in the drawing). It would exit at the back & enter a U bend towards the center of the car. It would then go back up to the front of the muffler & cross over under collector area & circle back towards the rear of the car just behind the wheelwell & under the driver side door. Here there would be 4 angle cut tips, all functional. It would give the look of "Zoomies" exiting under the side of the car. All the pipes would probably be 2 1/2". I know from experience that a small block exiting a turbo muffler into short 2 1/2" pipes can sound pretty threatening.

Maybe I could have 2 exhaust systems. Put this on for cruising, but have something that exits farther back if I ever wanted to take an extended trip with the car (yeah, right, with 3.91s! LOL). So, aside from the obvious concerns of fumes getting into the passenger compartment, burning my leg & the noise from having the exhaust exit right below your ears, what do you think? Am I crazy? Would it be Bad-***? I'm ready for whatever you have to say.

Exhaust Zoomies.jpg

Gee. 22 people have looked at this & not one comment! Either this is such a GREAT idea that everybody is running out to be the first to do it with their car, or it's SO BAD it's left everybody sitting at their computer dumbfounded with their mouths hanging open, not able to think of anything to say.......... :scratch::pukeleft:

:burnout:

I kind of had the same idea with my fender well headers. Mine have a slip-on merge collector and was thinking about making a slip-on 4 tube collector to replace the merge collector this way it would give me zoomies. I may still do it even though it will probably hurt performance a little but it really doesn't matter in bracket racing anyway.

Mine is a race only car so I don't have to run muffs.

Chuck

Just wanted to say I just looked at it.
And I am trying to see it in my mind without getting very hot or in the way of something.180 turned pipe.
You know how much of a tec person I am.:lol:

I think we should drop it in front of the front tires.
Just wanted to give some support bud.:headbang:

When I originally thought of this I considered just running the 4 pipes with no muffler, just motorcycle drag pipe baffles in the pipes. I'm too old to think like that now.

I just installed Spitfire short headers in my 1964 Valiant, and now have to run exhaust out from them. I bought a box of 2 1/4" pipe sections with various bends in them and plan to tack them together to run to probably a pair of Patriot side pipes. I just removed fenderwell headers from car. I'll keep an eye on your idea and see how it works out for you. It seems to be a lot of piping in a tight area though. JMO, Mike

I case someone doesn't know what an AAR muffler looks like it has the inlet and outlet on the same end of the muffler.

Chuck

Two options,use a AAR cuda muffler to do this,or use two 90 degree bends to come out of the back of the muffler and come back forward with the zommies attatched,mrmopartech
[email protected]
450 424 0445

I don't know how big repop AAR mufflers are, or what they cost but I imagine I could do it my way for less money, & I've often read that the AAR/TA exhaust systems didn't flow as well as a normal 340 system because of the muffler. But you're right, this might work. One of the reasons I thought of doing it the way I did was because you can get turbo style mufflers that are only 13" long or glasspacks that are 12" long. I played with the idea of the glasspacks for a long time, but the more I think about it, the more I think a 12" glasspack would be REALLY LOUD.
I also thought about the way you mentioned with the 2 90 degree bends. My concern there was that the exhaust would have to come forward & then basically hit a dead end & reverse out the zoomies. That's not to say that all the bends in my drawing wouldn't be pretty restrictive too, I just thought it might flow better. And, reversing directions is exactly what happens in a turbo muffler, although, like I said, my experience has been that the sound through a turbo muffler & short 2 1/2" pipes is pretty good.
IF I was to do something like this a lot of it would probably come down to what I could fit in the available space when I tried to make it work.

ValiantMike, you're right. It would be a lot of stuff in a small area, & it'd probably need a heat shield of some type to keep from burning the drivers' feet.

Here's a pic of a fenderwell type header on a Flipnose '55 Chevy (I apologize in advance for the Chevy reference). HOpefully you can get an idea of how to route your system. This guy has the full exhaust routed inward (looks like a split welded into the collector) and then back with the dumps hanging.

goodguys082507 033rs.JPG

I used to have a set of collector reducers that went from 3" to 2 1/2" * then turned 45 *. This pointed the pipes toward the center of the car. Then I added another 45* pipe to point them to the rear of the car. Then I went straight back to my turbo mufflers which dumped in front of the back axle. I could always do something like this again fairly cheap. This time I'd probably either try to get some tailpipes bent or dump at the side of the car in front of the rear tires. I'd also like to have a set of dumps, but I've checked & it seems like it's over 200 miles to the nearest drag strip so I don't know how much use they'd be.
I just think the Zoomies would be kinda' neat.

-
Back