Threw fan belt, how bad could engine be hurt

-

72dart_swinger

Reaction score
My car has a 360 in it and it threw the belt off of the water pump and cut it, I didnt realize it until and I was at home (the trip was 1 mile round trip at most), when I realized it the temp gauge was over 260-270 (have sunpro temp gauge in car) and I threw a belt on it and let it idle to pull cooler water through the motor. I was wondering what could be possibly hurt. (I know someone that something similar happened to and it screwed up the compression rings in a 318 and it is a pain to start now and will not run unless held to the floor). I went back a few days later and started it up and It idled very well for about 5 or 10 minutes sounded normal and behaved like it always has, only issue was loading up with gas because I havent had time to adjust the carb yet. Anyone think that it may have been hurt?

Probably nothing. If it wasn't clanging, pinging or seized up, I'm pretty sure that you're alright. Like 1968FormulaS340 said watch coolant and oil. Hopefully nothing is mixing.

269-270 for about 1 mile....That should be fine, Unless you do what I did...When I was young & dumb I had a 1971 Demon with /6 and radiator got a hole in it and I was on the interstate about 6 miles from home (this was before there was cell phones)....I tried just making to the next exit which was about 3 miles....Well the temp gauge bottomed out and I kept going to try to make the exit....Well to make a long story short, it vapor locked from the heat and shut off....I was still on the interstate....so I thumbed a ride to the next exit and called for a the Old Man from the pay phone....He picked me up and we went to get the car and by then it had cooled down and started up.....Didn't want to tow it so we drove it the 6 miles home....It didn't vapor lock again, but the gauge was bottomed out again by the time we got home..... Put in a new radiator....The motor ran good yet so I still used it as my daily driver.....About 10,000 miles later I developed a bad miss....did a compression check and 4 cylinders were between 110-120 ....the other two were 30 and 65.....So, I had to put another slanty in it....I think it took the temper out of the rings and they just wore quick.....

With a cast-iron block and heads, no big concerns. Sounds like yours didn't even boil over, which has happened to me many times in a slant and a BB, with no damage. Newer engines with aluminum heads are much more touchy since the aluminum warps easy. I wonder what happens to the plastic intake manifolds as well.

-
Back