Throttle Cable Components/Linkage

-

340_dart_power

Reaction score
Attached are several photos of my existing throttle cable linkage. Is this common, or are yours somewhat or radically different from mine? I have a non-original 340 ci in my Dart, which may explain why the linkage is the way it is.
I purchased (photo attached) what was advertised/ described as a replacement spring and bracket setup, but it is significantly different from what I have now.
Let me know what your linkage setups look like if you can, please.

IMG00388-20100815-0814.jpg

IMG00389-20100815-0814.jpg

IMG00390-20100815-0814.jpg

IMG00392-20100815-0815.jpg

IMG00393-20100815-0827.jpg

The bracket your now using to hook the throttle return spring to looks like a A/C mounting bracket, not a throttle return spring bracket. As far as I can see everything on yours looks fine except the wrong throttle return spring bracket. Should be like the new one you have.

I agree with Fishy; wrong bracket, correct springs (remember that). But no washers or cotter pin on that carb rod; it has a groove that the spring rides in. It has been so long... seems weak spring goes on the kick down.

If you look real close it looks like the small inner spring (the bright silver one) is connected to the kickdown linkage. And Snake it should pull the linkage forward. There was another factory style that used a spring connected to the back part of the kickdown linkage and the spring ran to the throttle stud. What he has there isn't factory stuff but should work as long as the spring rates are right. When I bought my car it was setup pretty much like that and it worked fine. I just didn't like the conglomerate of parts. Looked like a mess so I took it all off and put on a Lokar set. Much neater.

Thanks, guys. I'm tempted to pull the existing anchor/bracket and install the one I bought. I think it'll work, and also clean it up a bit in appearance.

both the ones pictured in the last picture are throttle springs the small one goes inside the big one and both to the carburator, I don't see the kick down spring, its only manybe 2 inches long and one end has a R sort of shape shape it goes in a spot on the second rod on the kickdown up to where it pivots on the intake, as the haynes manual shows

Swapped out the old bracket and springs today with the new ones in the above photo. Biggest PITA was disconnecting the top radiator hose to give me more room to work on this.
All went well, and I think it's an improvement over the old crap.

IMG00396-20100816-1948.jpg

IMG00397-20100816-1949.jpg

IMG00398-20100816-1949.jpg

IMG00399-20100816-1949.jpg

IMG00400-20100816-1949.jpg

Close, but that isn't really correct. The throttle return springs are both supposed to go to the throttle stud. You need a different spring (third spring) for the kickdown linkage. Get a service manual for your car and take a look at it or flip thru some magazines and look at how the original setup is supposed to be.

Close, but that isn't really correct. The throttle return springs are both supposed to go to the throttle stud. You need a different spring (third spring) for the kickdown linkage. Get a service manual for your car and take a look at it or flip thru some magazines and look at how the original setup is supposed to be.

Good suggestion, thanks.
I duplicated the earlier setup with the way I attached the springs, thinking it was correct. I have a shop manual for it, but have yet to find a decent drawing or photo in it which shows the proper setup, which was my motivation for this post. Hopefully someone has something similar and can post a photo of their setup to guide me in the right direction.

X2 like I said earlier but somehow it got overlooked... see the quote below

both the ones pictured in the last picture are throttle springs the small one goes inside the big one and both to the carburator, I don't see the kick down spring, its only manybe 2 inches long and one end has a R sort of shape shape it goes in a spot on the second rod on the kickdown up to where it pivots on the intake, as the haynes manual shows

-
Back