Throttle Cable

-

earlymopar

Reaction score
I'd like to get some input on throttle cables. The throttle pedal I'm using has a hole in the arm and I have a Carter AFB on the other end. The distance between the throttle pedal hole and the carburetor looks to in in the 19" range which appears very close to the A-Body cables I see many use (#8417). However, my throttle pedal is not a Mopar piece so I have a few questions:

1.) What diameter of hole is in the Mopar throttle pedal arm?
2.) I see that a retaining clip is used to attach the #8417 style cable to the firewall. Is there a rubber firewall grommet that is used too or does the cable end just push through the firewall before the retainer is inserted?
3.) I hear there is more than one retainer style. Which is preferred?
4.) Is there a plastic bushing that presses into the throttle pedal hole or does the round end on the cable just pull on the arm (metal to metal)?

Thanks, -EM

I should add that I'm looking at this cable but it appears to not come with a retaining clip: Pioneer Automotive CA-8417

Also, I have a Lokar "universal" cable but the throttle pedal end has a clevis and (short of cutting it off) I see no way to make it work with the "hole in the pedal arm" style of connection...

- EM

Remove the clevis from the lokar cable. The cable has a ball on the end that will slide into the pedal.

Yes. I understand the cable end has a ball that pulls on the clevis. I just didn't see a simple method to remove the clevis unless I cut it off. This is all with just looking through the original packaging. I'll remove the packaging and see if I can just disassemble the cable. Thanks.

- EM

Slide the cable out of the braided sleeve. Remove the clevis, install the braided sleeve on the car and cut it to length. Then slip the cable back in and adjust all of it. That's the short instructions. The lokar instructions are pretty good. I installed my cables a month or two ago.

-
Back