Throttle/Kick Down Linkage

-

SLC Duster Dude

Reaction score
When I first bought my Duster it didn't downshift properly at WOT and the upshifts were soft so I started looking for how to adjust it and got it set up so it works great. It was a throttle cable issue more than anything. After I rebuilt my 1406 Edelbrock I reattached all the linkage the same way it was and it works fine. It downshifts with a proper snap and upshifts nicely too. This is a 360 mated with a 727 that I believe to be stock. Anyway, after looking and looking at the proper way to setup the linkage I have never seen it done like the way I have. Note the bolt in the kick down slot. I did not do this setup originally, I bought it this way so I have no idea why it's like this. Can anyone shed some light on it?

IMG_6453 2.JPG

Mine was like that but with 2 bolts forward and rear...it worked ok but now I use a cable. .....
I didn't like that setup.....

Jeff

SLC, yours is like that because the intake manifold is taller than the stock one. Someone ran out of adjustment. As others stated there are solutions for the issue.

SLC, yours is like that because the intake manifold is taller than the stock one. Someone ran out of adjustment. As others stated there are solutions for the issue.
This, exactly. The problem with eliminating the slot......and the reason that Chrysler engineered it with a slot is so that, in the event that the transmission linkage binds or locks up the throttle can still close. Another reason to go cable. I am currently modifying a cable set up from a newer b van to work on my 55.

Instead of fussing with idle, I always adjusted the kickdown linkage with the carb and throttle lever on the trans at "WOT" to ensure the trans had full line pressure during WOT shifts. I've just seen too many misadjusted kickdowns burn up transmissions.

Just hold the carb WOT and the trans throttle lever all the way to the "rear" of the car and lock it all down. Just be sure the carb's WOT isn't restricted in any way and you should be good

Instead of fussing with idle, I always adjusted the kickdown linkage with the carb and throttle lever on the trans at "WOT" to ensure the trans had full line pressure during WOT shifts. I've just seen too many misadjusted kickdowns burn up transmissions.

Just hold the carb WOT and the trans throttle lever all the way to the "rear" of the car and lock it all down. Just be sure the carb's WOT isn't restricted in any way and you should be good
This is exactly it.

Old thread, but this is where I am today setting up my Lokar linkage.
Thank you all for info, any members have the bracket they would sell give me a pm please

-
Back